There are newer employer reviews for Lawson Products

20 plus years experience in outside sales.

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at Lawson Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Independent - did not have to punch a time card. Some products were exceptional. Didn't have to work in an office. Pay check was stable. Some product innovation.

Cons

Upper management changes constantly. Sales goals unachievable in a down economy. Pricing way out of line. Shipping costs passed on to customers killed many sales. Management just not in touch with reality. They act like Washington politicians.

Start implementing some of what made Lawson great many years ago. Superior training of sales force made for superior customer service in the field. Currently there is little to no training whatsoever.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Lawson Products (View Most Recent)

Reliable paycheck, co-workers and middle management good to work with.

Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Transitioning to e-commerce and modern data management and inventory control systems. Opportunities for people with the skills to help with the shift in business model.

Cons

Going through major transition in corporate culture as they modernize infrastructure.

A place where sub par talent goes to die and those whose are intelligent enough to know better run away while they can.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Lawson Products full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Compensation - There is a reason they are willing to give you exactly what you or your recruiter ask for and that is because this is their biggest selling point to get you in the door... and let me tell you... there is a reason for that.

Wish I had more to say here but honestly there are some decent people but they are so far overshadowed by those who are awful its hard to even consider that a positive

Cons

Mind you I am writing this as someone a year out from leaving and I left on my own accord:

- Poor "leadership" just trickles down - its hard to achieve a vision when your fearless leaders don't even understand what that means, not to mention no one is actively measured against goals

- Management isn't even something that I would consider an active practice by most that call themselves managers at Lawson

- Growth / Opportunities - when I was hired in I started with 4 other people - 3 of us left in under a year - working here is taking a backseat to growth while just sitting at your desk for 10-12 hours a day doing nothing or anything to just collect a paycheck - needless to say if you would like to regress in your career this is the place to do it

- Corporate Culture - I will say it again - people go here to die - so if you can wake up for the next 40 years in the same thankless job, with the same problems everyday, and no way of getting any traction of fixing anything this is the place to do it

I have worked at a handful of place, some good and others not so much, but Lawson was hands down the absolute worst place I have worked in terms of people development, feedback, and overall rapport between employees. My advice would be to honestly assess the way in which your people feel and the promises that have been made upon walking into roles but beyond that look at the way in which management is assessed in their abilities, most people managing here don't even offer constructive feedback when its solicited.

There are newer employer reviews for Lawson Products