Layne Christensen

There are newer employer reviews for Layne Christensen

Great Company, great managers

Current Employee - Data Entry
Current Employee - Data Entry

I have been working at Layne Christensen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great work environment, excellent benefits, and the staff are wonderful.

Cons

It's busy, can be stressful (they have a stress management hotline for employees that is of no charge), and sometimes long days are the norm.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Layne Christensen (View Most Recent)

This wasn't a horrible place to work.

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time

Pros

Layne frequently promoted deserving individuals from within rather than bringing in new people. There was always room for advancement. This was a fantastic company with which to learn new skills.

Cons

Endless red tape, lack of proper attention to harassment in the workplace, lack of organization and structure in some areas. There were times employees would put in 12-16 hours a day for weeks at a time.

There were inconsistencies in handling problem items (customer issues, employee to employee harassment, purchasing rules) Busy work periods could use attention.

The Dream Subject of an MBA Student Writing A Thesis

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Layne Christensen as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The culture. Met some great folks during my (short) time with the company. They truly cared about the legacy and future of this enterprise. Close-knit relationships were the norm. I saw loyalty in bunches, which was displayed in the number of folks who packed it in and took a chance in a new market.

Cons

As a Consultant, I've worked in many industries, for many employers, in many regions of the country, so I have a unique perspective.

A few points:
    1) I've never interacted with more unqualified Middle Managers in Corporate Ops. And many were completely disengaged.
    2) The move to Houston was completely unnecessary, a huge risk of capital, and robbed a KC-based company that had been around for 100+ years of its unique identity.
    3) Communication- a nightmare. At times, I got the feeling that nobody knew who was steering the ship, what the needs of the crew were, etc.
    4) A lot of outdated systems (IT infrastructure).
    5) Executive hires with strong resumes, but interpersonal relationship-building/leadership skills that were lacking.

Don't take your workers for granted. Give them the tools they need to succeed. And although it is an impossibility, go back to early 2013 and don't move.

There are newer employer reviews for Layne Christensen