Inconsistent management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good product line
Great co-workers
Fair compensation

Cons

Bad senior management - revolving door of executives, each bringing their own style and changes which causes continual churn
Lack of consistency
Lack of work/life balance

Value your employees and don't view them as disposable. Set clear goals and objectives

Other Reviews for LeapFrog

Great products, crappy culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

Great people at the rank & file level - fun to be around and really dedicated to making the products successful. There's a definite sense of camaraderie that helps you get through the day.
    Products you can be proud of - you know they are really making a difference in kids' lives.
    Stock is finally on an uptick, though who knows how long it may stay that way.

Cons

Does the previous reviewer work at the same company as me? I can't imagine how he/she can be so ecstatic about this place. If you spend any time working with the CEO on a regular basis, I can't imagine how you'd have that point of view. He can be great one minute but decides to berate you the next. He forgets what he's said/seen from one meeting to the next and completely contradicts himself from one meeting to the next - and what's worse, he micromanages every product and marketing decision, so it's next to impossible to get anything done. If you're looking to have any sense of ownership in your job, this is not the place for you.

Things are very political, particularly with the VP-and-above levels. Senior management (VP and above) lacks leadership and visionary skills, and the CEO seems to be doing little to address or change the issues. Most of the VP's are terrible at managing people, so don't expect any real career development here.

For a toy company, you would think this place would be family friendly, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It's a workhorse culture - ridiculous amounts of work given to understaffed teams with totally unrealistic expectations, which makes for long hours both in the office and once you're home. There is no on-site day care, no maternity benefits, and little to no schedule flexibility (any that you do have is totally dependent on how interested your manager is in giving it to you). The company is run by men (most of whom have stay at home wives), so there is little understanding of or appreciation for working moms in particular. Given they're competing with Silicon Valley firms, you'd think this would be a no-brainer.

Switch out your senior management for people who actually know how to manage people, lead, and know how to create a real future vision for the company and inspire excitement in their teams. Start caring more - in words and actions - about making the company family-friendly.

Excellent company, great leadership, amazing people, best employers I've worked for, ever.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog

Pros

- JB the CEO has come in and made great strides to make LeapFrog the best company to work for. He is a wonderful leader, extremely charismatic and gives recognition where it's due.
    - The people are amazing, passionate, smart and loyal
    - Everyone is impressed when you tell them you work here
    - Company meetings are interesting and efficient
    - Fun parties and events
    - LeapDays mean you get out at 12pm Fridays before Holidays
    - The past year has been a major "turn around" point at the company since JB started working here
    - Competitive Pay
    - Generous metrics based Bonuses
    - Generous Benefits
    - They brought back 401k matching!!
    - Work you do is meaningful and impactful in helping children reach their full potential
    - Stress-free environment relative to other companies
    - Normal work-life balance, hours are dependable and average, plenty of flexibility
    - Smiling faces
    - Education has been put at the forefront
    - Resources are available when you ask for them
    - People genuinely love coming to work every day
    - The stock is doing tremendously, and stock options/discounts
    - HR team uses metrics and company survey results to try to make improvements, constantly reflecting on how to revive the energy of the group
    - Start-up vibe with backing of a major company
    - Free LeapPad!!

As you can see, I absolutely love being at LeapFrog. I cannot think of a better place to work in the Bay Area. When I started I had heard mixed thing because of all of the leadership changes but this company has been nothing like that now that JB is here. I sincerely give this company my highest recommendation and hope that it continues to attract incredible talent and inspiring leadership.

Cons

- For me it was the commute, but that's not LeapFrog's fault :)
    - It can be hard to move up, but I've seen a lot of people get promoted since I've been here.

I really can't think of anything else.

JB - everyone is so thankful you have stepped out of retirement to lead our group! My only advice is to continue with it, because its working!

There are newer employer reviews for LeapFrog.

Worked for LeapFrog? Contribute to the Community!