LeapFrog

www.leapfrog.com
  www.leapfrog.com
There are newer employer reviews for LeapFrog

Now is a great time to be part of LeapFrog!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined LeapFrog hopeful, but skeptical. I heard stories about poor leadership and moral. These days, I'm thinking I got lucky and I'm grateful and happy to be working at such a terrific company with talented and fun people. LeapFrog is the best place I have ever worked (in my 20 plus year career). I think some of the negative reviews are from years past or from people who do not know what a bad culture is.

I am inspired by so many things at LeapFrog. The engaging, personable and inspirational CEO. He is making a huge difference, hiring the right leaders and driving us in the right direction. I'm truly inspired and motivated by him. I get a lot of what he communicates because I've been in several companies where we were in "turnaound", a difficult job for any CEO. I've witnessed bad leadership and poor cultures at companies that have equally wonderful people and great products.

The HR team is really great at LeapFrog. They are all highly intelligent and engaging people who seem to really care about the people and culture.

There are many very creative teams that produce truly beautiful products. Most everyone, present or past, who has worked at LeapFrog says they are product of the products and the mission to be the number one children's learning entertainment company.

I've never worked for a company that has such a large team of diverse, intelligent, inspiring, talented and nice people. It is a joy to come to work. The work environment is bright and cheery. People treat each other with respect. You walk around and people smile and say hello. The place is friendly and there is a lot of laughter. The company meetings are fun. There is tremendous opportunity for those with a positive and team oriented spirit.

The compensation is fair and the benefits are good, and getting better. They match your 401K. The have stock purchase. We work hard, but we have a fair amount of time off. We shut down for two weeks during the holiday. Paid holiday shutdown so you can enjoy your holiday and family. In the summer, we have summer Friday's where you can leave at 2pm. The Friday before a holiday we have a Leap day and can leave at noon.

I find that most people are responsible and work hard to contribute to the teams success. They have a very nicely executed Christmas party and a summer BBQ for the employees. I've been very impressed with the dedication of most of the employees.

Cons

We do work extremely hard, but there is flexibility when you need it and no one is unreasonable with expectations.

Processes in several key areas are not what they should be so this is an extra effort. Still, I enjoy the collaboration and a chance to take part in building the company we all want to work for.

Strategic planning is not starting soon enough in some areas so the timelines for execution are too short and this puts us at risk from a time to market pov. This seems to be recognized so hopefully it will improve.

Keep up the good work. Stay focused on what we've discussed as our strategic initiatives. Invest in infrastructure, but take the time to do it in a smart way so the processes and systems will last.

103 Other Employee Reviews for LeapFrog (View Most Recent)

So much potential, but cannot get past the poor leadership and broken culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time

Pros

- Great brand, great products. Truly proud of the impact we make on childrens lives
    - Pockets of talent and great teamwork at lower levels in the company
    - Office space is open and conducive to creativity

Cons

- Leadership is lacking. The CEO is involved in every minor decision, rendering the VPs, Directors, and Managers completely powerless and ineffective. Decisions are made in a vacuum with no respect for the data delivered as part of the process. As a result, decisions are rarely permanent - direction changes daily, leaving the talented hard-working design and engineering teams left to scramble to meet deadlines.
    - LeapFrog is losing talent by the day, all of the good ones have left or are at least in the process of leaving. HR and Sr Leadership do nothing to keep talent.
    - While the company was founded on innovations in kids learning products, there is no longer a culture of innovation. Management does not support internal innovation, and are not willing to take risks to put new ideas into the market. Do not be fooled - the team responsible for coming up with and executing the LeapPad is no longer at LeapFrog...they have been chased out by the new CEO.
    - The talented, hard- working people in the company are not respected, rewarded, or recognized. Marketing is King, but the Marketing leadership is extremely weak.
    - Silos rule the office. Information and ideas do not flow between cross fuctional team members, there are big walls up.

The VP level needs to be flushed and replaced with strong, talented leaders who understand product development. The Dictatorial culture must be replaced with real cross-functional reviews that are not just marketing pitches, to give the company the best chance at making smart decisions. And please, try to keep the talent that has not left yet - treat your employees like you value them.

Improvements being made but still need more employee focus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog

Pros

Brand is very good. Can be proud of product that we develop. Most people are great to work with.

Cons

Huge imbalances in work between functional groups and even within groups. Senior management does not seem to be focused on changing that. Often people rewarded or promoted when work effort/accomplishments do not support it. Other show great effort and work very hard to make improvements and are not acknowledged.

Get to know your employees. Reward those people driving for improvement and working collaboratively. Make the hard calls and decisions when employees are not.

There are newer employer reviews for LeapFrog