LeapFrog

www.leapfrog.com

Too much drama; too much of "an old boys club

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

Pros- products are fantastic and are impactful. My children have benefitted from these first hand.
- people are generally positive and aligned with the mission.
- employee benefits are improving, though still trail the competitve set by a long way.
- consistency & outside trust. We have beat the street for several quarters, largely attributed to our solid forecast process.

Cons- Senior management. The CEO initially re-energized the company when he came in nearly 2 years ago, but the masses are becoming tired with the rhetoric. Morale spikes a bit during the monthly company meetings, but shortly thereafter we realize the meeting was glitz, with little back-up.

- Turnover continues to be very high. We have lost some exceptional people lately. Things haven't really changed from the days of people disappearing in the night.

- As a company we continue to be exceptionally weak at planning ahead. The company continues to turn in good results, but these are largely a result of products designed well before the CEO joined. The real test is going to be whether we can sustain this pace 18 months from now.

- The disparity in pay, especially for some of the recently hired Senior Managers. These are available on the SEC filings (look for the one's titled 8-K). It is amazing how much stock and bonuses that are handed out and guaranteed when the rest of us doing the work are dependent on results.

- Bench Strength. Across the board there are some very talented people within the organization, but once you get deeper into organization the bench strength is fairly thin.

- Business Systems and most other processes are weak. At a company meeting in January this was discussed but even now that we are 3/4 through the year there is little progress to show.

- Rather than becoming part of the solution, the HR business partners spend time in my organization asking team members to pile on with how had things really are.

Advice to Senior Management- Hire based on qualifications, not personal relationships. This is true for both fulltime employees and consultants. We continue to bleed money paying way above market for friends of JB. One more of these and there will be several people who will leave.

- Develop cohesiveness across the Management team. The CEOs style is to have discussions 1:1 with his directs rather then of driving cross team alignment.

- The Board needs to get their hands on the wheel...once you start digging there are chinks in the armour everywhere.

Now is a great time to be part of LeapFrog!

(Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time for more than a year

Pros: I joined LeapFrog hopeful, but skeptical. I heard stories about poor leadership and moral. These days, I'm thinking I got lucky and I'm grateful and… Cons: We do work extremely hard, but there is flexibility when you need it and no one is unreasonable with expectations. Processes in several key areas are… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work. Stay focused on what we've discussed as our strategic initiatives. Invest in infrastructure,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

So much potential, but cannot get past the poor leadership and broken culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time

Pros: - Great brand, great products. Truly proud of the impact we make on childrens lives - Pockets of… Cons: - Leadership is lacking. The CEO is involved in every minor decision, rendering the VPs, Directors, and Managers completely powerless and ineffective. Decisions… Advice to Senior Management: The VP level needs to be flushed and replaced with strong, talented leaders who understand product development. The Dictatorial culture must be replaced with… More
There are newer reviews on LeapFrog.

Worked for LeapFrog? Contribute to the Community!