There are newer employer reviews for LeapFrog

Would be a great place to work if not for overly emotional managers

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Accounting in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

LeapFrog is a company with an incredible mission - helping children achieve their potential. We make a difference in children's lives everyday!

The flexible working environment allows me to take care of personal commitments and still hold a professional full time job.

The company has gone through an incredible transformation and is profitable after losing money for several years.

The new CEO has a big heart and does a great job instilling confidence and recognizing the teams that work hard behind the scenes.

Our products rock! We consistently win accolades from the most respected toy industry associations

The ESPP is great. It's helped defray some of the compensation gaps.

Cons

The compensation and benefits are not up to par with other companies in the area.

We need better prioritization and focus - we have about 15 "big eggs" which makes it difficult to know which are the most important.

The Company openly talks about the challenges and what needs to get done, but it's hard to see whether we are making any progress against the key initiatives.

Cross team collaboration is discouraged, instead we are focused on discrediting HR, Legal and other parts of finance to ensure the accounting team looks good. I've been encouraged to cover up mistakes, which i feel horrible about, but not doing so would have put my job at risk. This behavior would not be tolerated at any other companies.

There is a veil of secrecy with respect to getting things done. Far too often there are too many closed-door meetings through out the entire organization. While business has improved, there is a sense of paranoia that there will be more layoffs once growth slows.

The lack leadership and maturity in the Controller's team. Incredible mood swings, different personas when CEO/CFO are present, openly complaining about senior management, and fostering a confrontational relationship with the groups we interact with the most makes it challenging to align as part of her team.

The morale of our team is deteriorating quickly. Our new CFO hasn't reached out to get to know anyone on the finance/accounting team other than a few select people.

It's unclear what our team strategies are and where we are headed. At most meetings where my VP is present she is completely silent. Instead, leads in Supply Chain and IT drive most of the decisions. If there is input from Accounting, it always comes from one of the accounting managers.

Please help with setting a manageable number of priorities.

We also need to do a better job tracking progress of how we are accomplishing our goals.

Take a very close look at the ranks below the most senior executive team. Some functional key leaders were placed in critical roles a few years back. It's time we recognize that they are in over their heads. If we want to become truly world class we need to make additional personnel changes quickly.

97 Other Employee Reviews for LeapFrog (View Most Recent)

A company with heart

Former Employee - Associate Producer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated, talented people working hard
    The products work, children benefit from them and enjoy them
    All teams are highly cross-functional, you'll get to understand a lot about how other people do their job.
    Pleasant work environment with a supportive culture.
    Bay Area location

Cons

Lots of layoffs have led to a somewhat depressed culture only now bouncing back
    Typical disconnect between upper level and lower.

People are getting overworkerd. Hire more low-level people.
    Spend more on R&D
    FIgure out a robust web structure that is a place for moms as well as kids

Too much drama; too much of "an old boys club

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- products are fantastic and are impactful. My children have benefitted from these first hand.
    - people are generally positive and aligned with the mission.
    - employee benefits are improving, though still trail the competitve set by a long way.
    - consistency & outside trust. We have beat the street for several quarters, largely attributed to our solid forecast process.

Cons

- Senior management. The CEO initially re-energized the company when he came in nearly 2 years ago, but the masses are becoming tired with the rhetoric. Morale spikes a bit during the monthly company meetings, but shortly thereafter we realize the meeting was glitz, with little back-up.

- Turnover continues to be very high. We have lost some exceptional people lately. Things haven't really changed from the days of people disappearing in the night.

- As a company we continue to be exceptionally weak at planning ahead. The company continues to turn in good results, but these are largely a result of products designed well before the CEO joined. The real test is going to be whether we can sustain this pace 18 months from now.

- The disparity in pay, especially for some of the recently hired Senior Managers. These are available on the SEC filings (look for the one's titled 8-K). It is amazing how much stock and bonuses that are handed out and guaranteed when the rest of us doing the work are dependent on results.

- Bench Strength. Across the board there are some very talented people within the organization, but once you get deeper into organization the bench strength is fairly thin.

- Business Systems and most other processes are weak. At a company meeting in January this was discussed but even now that we are 3/4 through the year there is little progress to show.

- Rather than becoming part of the solution, the HR business partners spend time in my organization asking team members to pile on with how had things really are.

- Hire based on qualifications, not personal relationships. This is true for both fulltime employees and consultants. We continue to bleed money paying way above market for friends of JB. One more of these and there will be several people who will leave.

- Develop cohesiveness across the Management team. The CEOs style is to have discussions 1:1 with his directs rather then of driving cross team alignment.

- The Board needs to get their hands on the wheel...once you start digging there are chinks in the armour everywhere.

There are newer employer reviews for LeapFrog

Worked for LeapFrog? Contribute to the Community!