Lee Enterprises

www.lee.net
  www.lee.net
There are newer employer reviews for Lee Enterprises

Great coworkers, great customer service, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comparable pay for entry level employees, friendly staff, active in the community.

Cons

No raises for years - pay freeze. Working late when sales staff missed deadlines and production staff had to stay after-hours to get everything done. Sales Staff got commission (aka a reward for missing a deadline) production team (graphics, prepress, printing staff, circulation, carriers) got longer hours with no reward. No overtime. No employee incentive program, little to no training program for new employees, slow on equipment upgrades. High turnover rate, especially in circulation, sales staff and carriers.

Employee incentives for all staff, not just sales team. Manager training.

62 Other Employee Reviews for Lee Enterprises (View Most Recent)

Destined for destitution

Former Employee - Does IT Matter? All the Jobs There Suck in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Does IT Matter? All the Jobs There Suck in Decatur, IL

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What can I say? I spent three years at the Decatur newspaper working with retail sales, the newsroom, the photographers, marketing, and classified ad department. I guess some of the people were okay. You know - the grunts who actually did the work?

Cons

Management, management, management,...all utterly worthless. Pointing out actual "cons" is an exercise in simply multiplying every employment factor by zero - a simple waste of time to even quantify all the poor aspects of this place of employment. The list of how to improve things with a wrecking ball would be shorter...and more effective.

Quit now while you're behind (way behind).

My coworkers were great, but the top level administration was hit-or-miss at best.

Former Employee - Sports Desk Clerk in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Sports Desk Clerk in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Lee Enterprises part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with knowledgeable people who shared my interests and hobbies and I appreciated the laid-back atmosphere in the newsroom. (I worked nights.)

Cons

The administration sometimes gets into micromanagement, which is really obnoxious. I didn't experience a ton of it because I worked nights and the higher-ups were all out of the office then. But the sense I got from talking to people and seeing the emails they sent out was that working during the day was not nearly so pleasant as working nights. The training I went through bore this out--I actually had to go through training on how to handle workplace "slips, trips, and spills." Not joking.

Figuring out a strategy to make the newspaper business successful long-term is going to be really difficult, but you don't help by chasing off independent creative types with your micro-management.

There are newer employer reviews for Lee Enterprises