Lee Enterprises

www.lee.net
  www.lee.net
There are newer employer reviews for Lee Enterprises

The people who work here care

Current Employee - Reporter in Longview, WA
Current Employee - Reporter in Longview, WA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong community ties, loyal readership, commitment to accuracy, wins awards every year, and the staff cares about their work and each other. Good health benefits & 401K.

Cons

Not everyone who leaves is replaced, and those who are replaced aren't replaced very quickly. No raises in years.

Raises would lift morale and make it easier to hire quality staff that will stay longer. Hire an assistant city editor.

62 Other Employee Reviews for Lee Enterprises (View Most Recent)

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Got to work with some really great people that challenged me and helped me grow, before I was promotoed
    - Had a lot of freedom to find the best solution to problems, before I was promoted
    - Managers were generally very open to ideas and encouraging
    - Over all, really great people

Cons

- Salary, very difficult to maintain a lifestyle on what they paid. Infrequent raises and usually just "cost of living" raises.
    - Received a promotion and when asked for a salary requirement, was told it couldn't be above {X}, stupid me took the job anyway and was laid off about a year later
    - Creativity was stifled by the corporate office, very very difficult to do anything that wasn't exactly like all 51 other papers
    - Frequent lay-offs and furloughs, which for salaried employees meant a pay cut to our already difficult to manage salaries
    - Cost saving "periods" where local depts weren't allowed to buy anything, but bathrooms were remodeled and a large newspaper was purchased
    - No confidence in the corporate leadership to make decisions that would actually help or benefit the company, evident by how the organization was staffed.

Change with the times...you have to be able to pay people if you dream of being able to keep them. Constantly rotating experienced, talented professionals out and replacing them with fresh college grads is a tough way to excel.

Great coworkers, great customer service, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comparable pay for entry level employees, friendly staff, active in the community.

Cons

No raises for years - pay freeze. Working late when sales staff missed deadlines and production staff had to stay after-hours to get everything done. Sales Staff got commission (aka a reward for missing a deadline) production team (graphics, prepress, printing staff, circulation, carriers) got longer hours with no reward. No overtime. No employee incentive program, little to no training program for new employees, slow on equipment upgrades. High turnover rate, especially in circulation, sales staff and carriers.

Employee incentives for all staff, not just sales team. Manager training.

There are newer employer reviews for Lee Enterprises