Legacy Health System

www.legacyhealth.org

Uneven Leadership Maintains Organizational Norms that are Unsustainable in an Era of Healthcare Transformation

Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros1.) George Brown is a great leader, probably the best among the major systems in our region.
2.) As an employee, you can be proud of the quality of care provided at Legacy sites, which is as high or higher than the other systems in our region.
3.) More than the other healthcare systems, Legacy promotes an ethos of "doing the right thing" and does as good a job as any large organization can do to abide by it. Their commitment to diversity is exemplified in many ways, most notably through the presence of an African American man in the CEO position. There is also a strong commitment to healthcare literacy.
4.) Pay, at least for certain classes of administrative functions, is highly competitive. (but see "con" #4, below)
5.) Legacy is the largest provider of unreimbursed care in our region--evidence of a genuine commitment to the underserved. Hence, they deserve the classification of "non-profit" that many other health systems in our country don't.

Cons1.) Weak links among the senior and executive leadership teams, and too much internal bickering within their ranks.
2. ) Initially, the presence of so many longterm employees at Legacy may seem a good sign--however, it is both a cause of inertia and an outcome of tolerance for mediocrity.
3.) When faced with organizational issues, Legacy too often takes a "try to make everybody happy" approach, rather than making smart business decisions.
4.) Poor HR policies that, again, strive to be "fair," rather than rewarding excellence. So Instead of "pay for performance, Legacy claims to extend "the same" percentage pay raise to all employees, except this is not true: everybody gets the same percentage raise, based on the midpoint of their position''s pay range. This means if you were hired near the top of your pay range (due to good qualifications), you actually receive a lesser raise than those whose pay is at the lower end. Frustration with lack of reward leads to Legacy losing talented employees while retaining mediocre ones.
5. ) Benefits not on par with other health systems. Most notably, there is no paid holiday. Instead, holidays are deducted from employees' bank of earned vacation days.

Advice to Senior Management1.) Stop trying to rule by committee. Instead, make tough management decisions that are based on financial acumen.
2.) Invest in outside consultants to come in and take a hard look at reforming outdated systems, policies and procedures. (Hunter Group is legendary for this within healthcare. I understand they have been bought out by Navigant, which may still provide that same service.)

Disappointment

Safety Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Wonderful "family" of co-workers. Great health care system. Cons: Known for mass layoffs. Budgeting strategy to maintain competition… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Excellent

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros: they are devoted to excellence. They deliver outstanding services. They are… Cons: West coast is not optimal as location for researchers do to the… Advice to Senior Management: nothing to advice to them, they perform excellent work in the way… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Legacy Health System.

Worked for Legacy Health System? Contribute to the Community!