LegalZoom.com

www.legalzoom.com
There are newer employer reviews for LegalZoom.com

Good internet company in Los Angeles (Glendale)

I worked at LegalZoom.com full-time

Pros

Nice people
Actually provides a real solution for real needs

Cons

Very silo'ed
Fewer opportunities for upward mobility

105 Other Employee Reviews for LegalZoom.com (View Most Recent)

If You Like Hating Your Life, Apply Now!

Current Employee - Business Formations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Formations Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Christmas party, bagels on Friday, free soda, fellow employees,

Cons

1. Temp agency was extremely misleading about conversion times; was quoted 3 months when in reality most folks saw 6-9 months if converted at all. Keep in mind, there are no benefits in the meantime. The vast majority either quit or are dropped before being converted.

2. Hours inconvenient. Have many folks forced to work Sat-Wed now, which was certainly not the case for the last 6 months.

3. Company behaves as a cult with regards to its sales model, which is extremely awkward and impersonal. Any dissent is exceedingly frowned upon, and the leader is out there... to say the least. many people I know personally pretend to support it enthusiastically for fear that they will be fired.

4. Management keeps minimal communication with employees (besides the routine and copious emails and handouts with new tasks to tack on to the actual sales part of the job). And no, quarterly town hall meetings don't count either.

5. Despite being remarkably distant, several employees I know (including myself) have been absolutely reamed by managers in the most condescending and viscous way for one month of slightly off-color numbers, despite previous success. Not all managers fall into this category, though.

6. Repeatedly (daily) forced to choose between my job and violating personal ethics by misleading customers.

Stop pretending that you take employees' opinions into account and stop running the place like a sweat shop.

Poor management

I have been working at LegalZoom.com full-time

Pros

Lots of food, free sodas, great company events and they don’t do anything cheap, genuinely good coworkers, some but not all managers are decent human beings

Cons

I’ve been here quite some time and saw things change a lot. When I started back when the company was much smaller in Hollywood, it was a decent place to work. They told me about how this company is young and growing so I thought it would be good for me. But I ended up in the department with the VP who cares only about numbers and money. He hired all the managers who have the same style so it was very micromanaging and the place became very toxic over time. I thought I would have been promoted but they overlooked me and hired people from outside the department and company. And yet they woudln’t tell me why I didn’t get the promotion although my performance evaluation keeps saying I’m exceeding expectation. Today, there’s so much senior management bickering and personal agendas that you feel like you are back in high school with bunch of cheerleaders fighting over the jock. They care more about how many employees report to them. Zero respect and professionalism for us and treat us like we’re expendable. It’s their way or the highway. Yes, these so called management are very inexperienced outside of Legalzoom world, leading by fear, micromanaging and hiding behind emails – since the VP and director does it, everyone copies. The previous director wasn’t that great but the current one takes the cake. Managers get their orders from him who lacks real leadership skills despite he keeps telling us how experienced he is.

Because the company keeps trying to go public, their wallets have gotten tighter. Raises are done annually and you get about 2-3%. When your making $15 hour, there is no motivation to work hard because your effort will only mean $26 more each MONTH!. At least I get paid more for doing the same work that the Austin people are doing. And yes, I have observed Austin employees being treated like dirt and we were even given training on how to treat them and not in a good way. I do feel bad for them but no one is going to stick our necks out since we don’t want to lose our jobs to them. Stock options are only for chosen few. I was fortunate to join early enough to get few shares but it’s not enough to make me retire if Legalzoom ever goes public. Most people these days aren’t getting any stock.

If you want to really mean “People Matter” then prove it and not just make it a slogan. Hurry up and go public, then cash out so we can get new management who actually cares about people who will still be working here.

There are newer employer reviews for LegalZoom.com