LegalZoom.com

  www.legalzoom.com
  www.legalzoom.com
There are newer employer reviews for LegalZoom.com

 

Success begets success

  • Comp & Benefits
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Senior Management
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a growing company, adding new people on almost every few weeks (at least they were when I worked there). As such, the opportunity to move up occurs quickly. Management will ask for extra time or maybe have you sit through lunch during a busy period, but it's usually not mandatory and they will feed you lunch in lieu of you not taking the time off. I've worked customer service before and seen the wrong way of doing things, but LegalZoom definitely does it right.

Cons

There were some issues with HR not being very accommodating to simple requests. The HR department also sponsored a weight loss competition and then refused to try to enter into any deals with a nearby gym. I found that kind of weird.

Advice to ManagementAdvice

Keep fighting the good fight and treating the employees well. The holiday parties were always a blast: your genuine interest in the employees shows and is appreciated.

Recommends
Positive Outlook
Approves of CEO

100 Other Employee Reviews for LegalZoom.com (View Most Recent)

Sort: Rating Date
  1. 2 people found this helpful  

    If you're looking for a career and/or any kind of personal & professional development, DO NOT APPLY

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

    I worked at LegalZoom.com as a contractor (less than an year)

    Pros

    The only pro I can think of is most of the people that work there. They're younger and/or have been there for a while, and nearly all of them see the insanity for what it is, and have a great sense of humor as a result. If you can't cry, laugh, right?

    Cons

    I don't know where to start.. but I'll keep it brief/bullet style. Here goes:
    - They have a deal with a local temp agency to get candidates in for interviews, etc. As mentioned in other posts, massive waves of people come through on a consistent basis. They sort, seed through those who they deem can hit the ground running/have a "yes sir" attitude and the rest are gone within days or not even shown the door a 2nd time. I refer to them-still-as a puppy mill. They produce "Zoomers" at a high rate; quantity, not quality.

    - Management lacks experience and/or actual leadership training. I have worked with inters who have more common sense and ability to troubleshoot than most of the folks who had been in "leadership" training.

    - Training is insane-they *think* they have it down to an art, but they don't. Trainers/managers are under the gun to get you to learn everything perfectly and NOW, and thus, the those being trained are under said gun. Slideshows and books don't do it--actual leadership and guidance being invested into employees do it.

    -The actual work: glorified data entry. *shudder*

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Hire actual managers.
    Work on employee retention.
    Work on actual performance and develop plans for your employees
    Diversify your software and systems; make day to day work an actual challenge, and not something that makes flipping an egg look like science. You want smart great people? Prove it. Implement It.

    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    No opinion of CEO
  2. 3 people found this helpful  

    Don't waste your time. You're better off working at Dairy Queen because they also start at $12/hr....

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    Former Employee - Legal Document Preparation Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Document Preparation Specialist in Austin, TX

    I worked at LegalZoom.com full-time (more than an year)

    Pros

    Realistically, the culture of LZ isn't that terrible. They love to fill your body with free drinks (soda..) and food (bagels, cookies, brownies).

    They have nice facilties are clean and well maintained. Computers are your disposal along with flat screens in the breakrooms, they use to have video game systems. Most of the grunt employees are cool and like-minded. Extravagant parties 2 times a year.

    Cons

    Some of the pros are a double edged sword. The free food they provide is pure junk, but people gobble it up like we're living in a 3rd world country, but based on pay that isn't too far off. LegalZoom would much rather spend their money frivolously on junk food and insanely extravagant parties than pay their employees in Austin a decent and well deserved pay based on their qualifications. It's well known that Cali. transplants get paid upwards to $17/hr while Austin employees make $12. There are people in managment positions in Austin who make less than their inferior Cali. employees....There is something innately wrong with that.

    95% of the employees would much rather get paid more hourly than have the chance to win a round trip ticket to Amsterdam or Jamaica, iPads, etc... ONCE a year. If you paid us more, we could afford our own food and/or vacations... The other 5% are the people are the people who have won these things... It's essentially a lottery system, so you're never guarenteed these Xmas prizes.

    They toss countless thousands of dollars away on these "perks" yet their employees are constantly complaining (straight to the CEO and President's faces) about lack of pay... Not to mention the hoards of inadequate people they hire and fire like a revolving door.

    It is very obvious that this company makes a lot of money, but none of it trickles down to the people who do the work day in and day out 40+ hours a week.

    Bottom line... Many people here are looking elsewhere, desperate to get out with their sanity.

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Step up your game and hire employees worth training and keeping. Pay us a livable wage, Austin is getting more and more expensive yet the pay remains the same, this is poor economics.

    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
There are newer employer reviews for LegalZoom.com

Work at LegalZoom.com? Share Your Experiences

LegalZoom.com

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.