Lego Group

Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Lego Group

Dream Job with Some Catches

I have been working at Lego Group

Pros

Great company culture, which encourages employees that only the Best is Good Enough. LEGO offers a very competitive bonus structure which encourages you to preform. The employee discount is awesome. The ability to execute ideas in your own department is great, but you have to be careful of stepping on other department's toes.

Cons

Some of the employees have a bit of a superiority complex - don't put on airs that you know more than them or can do something better - it's the quickest way to be marginalized. Be prepared to work with humility and respect. Over communicate even to people who may not be even involved.

Trust in your staff. Stop trying to go into markets and industries you don't need to.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Lego Group (View Most Recent)

Watch your back... literally!

I worked at Lego Group

Pros

Everyone loves LEGO. You tell people you were there and their face literally lights up. The products are fun and cool. It is a good product for children that you can feel proud of working on. You can often express yourself creatively and people are really passionate about working there.

Cons

I have never worked in such a nasty, backbiting place as this. As someone else mentioned, they will promise you the moon to get you to sign on, without any intent of keeping a single promise. And if you complain, they just ignore you and figure out a way to get rid of you. They only way to survive there is to be as aggressive as possible and step over the bodies of your coworkers as you climb the ladder. Until someone does it to you...

Most of the people you work with are OK. Until you accidentally displease them and then get on their bad side forever. I saw it happen to all my colleagues, and then it happened to me. A person I worked with tried to get me fired for their own incompetence. Luckily, this was hard for them to do, since they were not my boss but my co-worker. (Seriously, what is wrong with a place where peers think they behave like that...)

Taking the proper channels, I complained to my boss whom I assumed would be appalled. Nope. My boss totally abandoned me and threw me under the bus. Two weeks later, my replacement was hired (I was told this was a new co-worker) and I was forced out. I never even was told what I did wrong. To this day, I have no idea. My boss was forced out after that, so there is at least some karma.

I saw them fire people who had been there ten years without a second look. There are many people I know in the field who will flat out not work with them because LEGO's reputation now precedes them (eg, low balling vendors, firing employees without cause, and generally trying to get out of paying what they owe).

Do you know how humiliating it is to call a vendor as a LEGO employee and the vendor basically hangs up on you because LEGO is such a pain to work with? Why do you think you should always get a special deal because of your name?

You have a good product, but the culture and the way you do business is nasty and is really messed up!

Definitely not like what you would think...

I worked at Lego Group

Pros

My positive experience with this company only lasted the first few months I was there. The company has great health benefits for their employees with ordinary pay. "I work for LEGO. Yes, that LEGO." Some of the people are amazing to work with, and they can teach you a lot. The discount wasn't bad, either.

Cons

On the other side, the company has many reorganizations in which they use to get rid of anyone who challenges the ideas of upper management. The focus of LEGO is to have a
    "family-oriented" and it's exactly that. Unfortunately, if you're not a part of that small family (or from Denmark) then it is extremely difficult to move up in the company. There were very few promotions, and they recently have taken women out of any upper management roles. The company is extremely political, and very cliquey. They do not seem to recognize the hard work of their employees. The company also did not treat their contractors working for them very well, making false promises of contract to hire and treating them as if they were dispensable. The company didn't care about employee moral or worries.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. The constant political battles, rumors spread, and walking on glass trying not to step on any toes can become draining. The worry of always watching your back, and hoping to not lose your job with all of the reorganizations were stresses I wouldn't wish on anyone. This company encourages the ability to express one's opinions, but lash back if those opinions aren't the ones they wanted to hear.

Appreciate the hard workers within your group and utilize their abilities. Take advantage of hearing the advice from those lower in ranks than you, and appreciate the fact that they felt confident enough to share their ideas/opinions. Also, please give your employees the chance to move up and take on new challenges, and support them as best you can.

There are newer employer reviews for Lego Group