There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

Lehman: Don't bother

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

While it existed, they did pay every 2 weeks, and they kept me employed for 13 years.

Cons

Lots of compensation was made in company stock which became worthless at bankruptcy. Yearly bonuses that were used as basis for "total compensation" included restricted stock which was values at grant price giving the false impression that we actually made more money than we did.

Don't gamble my career away.

185 Other Employee Reviews for Lehman Brothers (View Most Recent)

decent place to work

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Lehman Brothers are the name. It was one of the top four investment banks and it had a good reputation. The corporate culture is very friendly. Most of the people I worked with in Jersey City were very open and friendly. They promote a work life balance within operations. My coworkers were able to work one day from home each week. They also had plenty of opportunities for volunteer work. There were also different opportunities to network. They also had extra classes that could be taken. There were international opportunities in Europe and Asia.

Cons

Some of the downsides to working at Lehman Brothers were the recent filing of the bankruptcy. However, Barclays had honored the recent offers. It is also difficult to move up the corporate ladder and to transfer to a different department immediately. There was not enough openness in the company. Many employees were expecting things to turnaround during the summer.However, things did not improve, and the company had to file for bankruptcy, leaving many without jobs. There was a lot of data entry work that was not dynamic. There would only be work certain periods of the day. The rest of the day you would not be doing anything.

be more open and honest with business dealings and with employees

Icarus flew too close

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Lehman Brothers

Pros

At the time it was the network possibilities. Just had to pick a rout and bust your ***.

Cons

Obviously, they made some bad moves and were over comfident that the Governemtn "corporate welfare" would kick in. Out of my hands though.

Don't get overconfident and "trust but verify". When you think you're on top of the world, take a few minutes and to look around, you might just be standing in a wide hole.

There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers