There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

A great place to work, period.

Former Employee - Customer Service
Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

They are no longer around but I am sure Barclays will be the same way. Great pay, communication and training programs. Tons of perks and a highly well run company, very professional. Everything had its own "Lehmanized" feeling to it. The background check was highly thorough and extensive. The training was highly helpful and learning the material was fairly easy thanks to great teachers. Overall, the company was willing to work with you over hours and other accommodations, but highly frowned upon bad decision making.

Cons

They closed, so no opportunity for growth. They also did not offer me any benefits, but I believe there benefit programs are usually top notch

Keep up the good work but perhaps be a little better at communicating

185 Other Employee Reviews for Lehman Brothers (View Most Recent)

If you get a great manager then you will love it.

Current Employee - Ops Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ops Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Lehman Brothers

Pros

For the operations class you get overtime which is wonderful. In addition, a work life balance is encouraged. The second most important thing is to network. If you do not do this then you will be stuck an analyst forever. Therefore you must attend events with WILL and various volunteer gigs. If you get sick then there is always a nurse and rest rooms. If they think that you need to go home, they send you off in a town car. Typically your managers are great and there is no closed door. People are really nice and laid back.

Cons

Your expierance all depends on your manager. If you work in the New Jersey office and plan on moving to front office BEWARE. You much absolutely network your butt off to get ahead. Try to meet MD's or VP's from other groups, it would typically be middle office. From there you would network with the sales traders. Visit the trading floor as much as possible and try to attend as many happy hours as you can. These are the keys to success as lehman. It is not who you know, rather it is who knows you. Oh and be friendly and laid back and you will fit in.

Encourage mobility and increase bonuses for the support function. They are very very small compared to the other banks.

Great while it lasted.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

The people at Lehman were great. Everyone was very intelligent and I learned a lot while I was there. The work was interesting and challenging. Although there is a decent amount of bureaucracy, the managers I've had were all very understanding and approachable.

Cons

Like any other investment bank, the hours are tough. Even in the technology department, I often worked 12+ hour days. Since this is a bank, the guys in technology were not treated with as much respect as say the traders or investment bankers. Bonuses were pretty great, but they were obviously not as good as the traders were getting. There was little transparency in terms of what was going on with the company when things started going bad.

Provide more transparency.

There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

Worked for Lehman Brothers? Contribute to the Community!