There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

dead

Former Employee - Finance Summer Analyst  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Finance Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

Nowadays, it's not possible...the company went bankrupt. The pay was quite good though, and it is a very respectful environment. It also should be said that despite the stupidity of senior management, as a whole Lehman was comprised of extremely intelligent people. Everyone I worked with was smart and competent.

Cons

Aside from the fact that it went bankrupt. There was no sense of what management was doing at any point. I started out in an office and ended up on a floor of empty desks all by myself. It was miserable. I had almost no training and nobody cared what I did.

you screwed up

185 Other Employee Reviews for Lehman Brothers (View Most Recent)

Great people and office, but tough hours

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Lehman Brothers

Pros

The people in the office are great, although turnover is high given the nature of the industry. There is great deal flow and not so much face time as required by other firms, especially becuase it is in the west coast. Lots of industry coverage within the technology group, so you won't be confined just to semiconductors, or internet, for example. The office is pretty nice as well. There is also a good amount of diversity in terms of people's background. Work / life balance was okay as the staffer was pretty accomodating to personal vacation schedules, to a certain extent.

Cons

Obviously, banking hours are tough and unpredictable, and this is true at Lehman Brothers too. Also, there is lot of competition from Goldman, Morgan, etc., so you won't always see the office get hired for the biggest or most prestigious deals. Compensation at Lehman, overall, seemed to be lower than other firms, so hopefully it will be better now at Barclays. This is mainly as a firm overall, not the Menlo Park office. Finally, being in Menlo Park, you are more of a satellite office, with the other half of the tech group being baesd in New York City, NY.

Better compensation

A great place to work, period.

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

They are no longer around but I am sure Barclays will be the same way. Great pay, communication and training programs. Tons of perks and a highly well run company, very professional. Everything had its own "Lehmanized" feeling to it. The background check was highly thorough and extensive. The training was highly helpful and learning the material was fairly easy thanks to great teachers. Overall, the company was willing to work with you over hours and other accommodations, but highly frowned upon bad decision making.

Cons

They closed, so no opportunity for growth. They also did not offer me any benefits, but I believe there benefit programs are usually top notch

Keep up the good work but perhaps be a little better at communicating

There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

Worked for Lehman Brothers? Contribute to the Community!