There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

Best place I ever worked. I'm heartbroken that it's over.

Former Employee - Vice President Technology
Former Employee - Vice President Technology

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

The culture was great. They hired the best and the brightest, and I worked with some of the most talented engineers and managers that I ever encountered. We were encouraged to take an entrepreneurial approach to our work in IT, and were rewarded for it when the system or app generated revenue or furthered the business' objectives.

There was great opportunity to network thru several diversity groups. Training and education was encouraged and readily available. They fully supported work-life balance and work from home (job - permitting, of course).

The work was hard, the hours were long, and the rewards were great. At the end of a day, I left the office exhausted and proud of what my team accomplished. It was the best 10 years of my working career. I met and worked with some remarkable individuals and established professional and personal friendships with people I will treasure, always.

Cons

Biggest downside: The bankruptcy. It is incredibly sad. Barclays should have been a silver lining, but sadly, the great things about Lehman and it's culture did not carry over after the acquisition.

I'm with you in wishing the clock could be stopped or rolled back to before the collapse. I wish it could have gone on forever.

187 Other Employee Reviews for Lehman Brothers (View Most Recent)

The biggest beneficiary of Lehman Bankruptcy

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Lehman Brothers

Pros

The current job market' mobility is very limited. If you have a real job outside, you might not want to work with LB. Following by the bankruptcy of LB, certain employees are asked to stay with LB and worked for the liquidation. Initially it said the whole bankruptcy process will take 5-10 years - Now the forecast had changed to 2 years aggressively. Good thing about working for LB in these days are all employees are on contractual basis - so for your contract period, you do not need to worry you would lose your income. If you can survive throughout the bankruptcy process, you might be able to transit to the new company while LB exited from bankruptcy.

Cons

Now LB is called as a bankrupt company. This is just a job - no future prospect. Depends on your work ethics, you might still have to work very hard but you no longer receive "performance-based" compensation. Everything is said on the contract and the majority of people shared the same terms. Lot of broken process, lot of knowledgable people left the firm and many people tried to figure out the missing process and its rationale. There are also the people from the so-called "administrator". They do not have best talents working in lehman. Some people don't even understand the investment broker-dealer terms and have literally no and light working experience in financial service industry. These people added lot of works to lehman legacy employees as Lehman legacy employees have to do FAQ for them all the time - repeatively.

Lehman legacy senior managment do not communicate with the lehman legacy employees anymore. The firm is run by Alvarez & Marsal.

If you dare, step in

Former Employee - Wealth Advisor Trainee in New City, NY
    Former Employee - Wealth Advisor Trainee in New City, NY

I worked at Lehman Brothers

Pros

It is an established business in Wall Street with an aggressive strategy. I like the set up of the office and the relation with the team.

Cons

Time and work balance: I asked my colleage why he came to office so early on Monday morning and he said he had not gone home yet.
    Incompliant managemorninmnt among sub-business units: The appraisal systems are different from one another.

Consolidate their HR management systems to be in line with one another

There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers