Leidos

www.leidos.com
  www.leidos.com
There are newer employer reviews for Leidos

Excellent support to employee development

Former Employee - Principal Usability Engineer in Columbia, MD
Former Employee - Principal Usability Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Leidos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I received raises each of 3 years employment. My management listened to my ideas to help grow SAIC (at it was called at the time), and even invested in packaged materials so I could present concepts on "usability" during brown bag sessions.

Cons

When the business group to which I belong was merged with another business group, some of the sizzle and warm co-operation faded. Seemed that budgets were tightened and attitudes were configured to be more "walk the straight and narrow". The sequestration of Spring 2013 saw the loss of well qualified employees whose billing rate was higher than the average. One would hope that a replacement position could have been offered, but such was not the case. On the other hand, business is business....

What management might call "tightening up", employees might call "getting too hide-bound and stultifying". Perceptions count. Of course, leadership style may differ across the business units.

214 Other Employee Reviews for Leidos (View Most Recent)

You're Just a Pawn on the Production Line

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Leidos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Friendly coworkers
    -Flexible on hours if you hit core hours (10-3:30)
    -Not a cube farm, yet.
    -Free coffee
    -DC United Tickets for cheap (lol)

Cons

-Low pay (below industry standard)
    -Terrible health care and benefits
    -Constantly cutting benefits
    -Not very interested in investing in your future
    -Upward mobility is based on time there and not actual skill
    -Promises are not kept. I was promised to do one type of work, but then passively forced into something else that did not help my career path. Other people were promised the chance to get a clearance and never got put forth for one.
    -Forced to use your PTO if there is a snow day and you can't make the hours up in time period.
    -My PM would literally walk by in the office without acknowledging your existence.
    -If you are not willing to work EWW, you end up on the bad side of management.
    -Very little is done to promote social interaction in the workplace.
    -They are currently trying to cut costs on everything because they aren't doing so well since the split from SAIC.

Invest in your employees and they'll be happier and therefore work harder. Most people work to live and not vice versa.

Could be great, if they put their minds to it

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Leidos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have tons of contracts and they're bringing in more every day. So, in theory, there are lots of opportunities with the company. They're not totally reliant on defense spending, so layoffs shouldn't be quite as big a concern.

There are also some really bright people working in the middle ranks. My team lead is the best supervisor I've ever had. Unfortunately, management leaves him flapping in the breeze regularly.

Most of their benefits stink, but they do have a great commute incentive program in D.C. If you work anywhere along metro, you can get up to $120 of metrofare reimbursed monthly for using metro instead of driving to work.

Cons

Benefits. I had to give them a 3 on work-life balance because while your day is over when you leave the office, their leave policy is pathetic. Ten days to start out. And don't let them convince you with the schtick about having two floating holidays, because they only give you seven of the 10 federal holidays, so if you work on a client site, you'll have to burn both floating holidays plus a vacation day on President's Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day.

They only offer high-deductible health plans, under the guise that your premium is lower. Sure you pay less each paycheck, but if you have so much as one visit to the urgent care clinic because of the flu, you're going to be on the hook for THE ENTIRE cost.

Finally, if you work in the National Capital Region (NCR), make sure you have them right the EXACT location to which you'll be assigned written on the offer letter. Don't let them get away with using vague locations like NCR, because they'll use that against you. The NCR covers as far south as Fort Belvoir, and as far north as Fort Meade, so if they have your work location listed as NCR, they can move you ANYWHERE within that area, regardless of where you live with no notice. You will not be able to fight it.

Stop shorting your employees to boost your revenues for shareholders. Provide better benefits and you'll find that employees will take less salary because of great benefits. This company could be great. It's crazy to see how much happier my friends are at the SAIC spin-off.

There are newer employer reviews for Leidos