Leidos

www.leidos.com
  www.leidos.com
There are newer employer reviews for Leidos

Great technical staff, professionals, upper management and directors . . . not so much.

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Senior Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Leidos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent technical staff. If you work here, you will for the most part find yourself working with truly motivated, intelligent, capable folks, many of which you will end up calling your friends. That goes for an abundance of the support staff as well. In the current economy I would pursue a job (not a career) at Leidos with the enthusiasm of someone jumping from an overpass onto the last train leaving the gulf states in the advance of Hurricane Katrina.

Cons

After an IPO, and self-imposed corporate suicide, dividing SAIC into two companies: newSAIC and Leidos Corp., it appears Leidos has sold it's sole to it's shareholders, sacrificing staff in the process. The company is going through a major downgrade; divesting itself of long time acquired real estate in favor of massive cube farms, outsourcing of all corporate functions, drastic cutting of employee benefits (while inflating Director's benefits) including healthcare and incentives, continuous reorganizations across a national landscape (I never even met my last several Division Managers - none even located in my state), etc., all to show profitability to the shareholders. The company is losing technical, and support staff faster than a children's party clown with Tourette Syndrome (yes, borrowed from D. Miller) - that is, those surviving the rounds of layoffs that reappear on the horizon on a tidal frequency. There seems to be a bit of a bunker mentality emerging among the middle management folks.

After nearly 30 years working for SAIC, then Leidos, essentially the same company, I have formed the following analogy regarding corporate management. I view the current management as a bunch of tantrum prone trust fund babies that inherited a well functioning business. In your desire to leave your mark, you applied your life's experiences, mythological business practices, gee-wiz Harvard MBA theories, etc. . . . and you broke it! Now you don't know what to do! The board of directors are simultaneously enabling and indulgent absentee parents, allowing the destruction to continue.

213 Other Employee Reviews for Leidos (View Most Recent)

Unorganized managers and no one was invested in the studies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Leidos as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The position wasn't too far from home

Cons

Having a manager that was on cell phone all the time and unaccessible

Small business opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Leidos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Leidos is a big company so the experience will vary, but what I have experienced (even when it was SAIC) is that Leidos (on the government side) could be like a collection of small companies. If you are able to foster a good relationship with your customer and gain respect and a good reputation with your customer and domain, you may have the opportunity to grow more business on your own with corporate backing.

Cons

Corporate perks such as the holiday/winter party, summer party, bonuses, .etc. have been cut due to cost cutting.

There are newer employer reviews for Leidos