There are newer employer reviews for LensCrafters

Right place, wrong time

Former Employee - Lab Technician
Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at LensCrafters

Pros

Computer systems are professional and useful--system calculates benefits, lays out the information in an easy-to-read and understand format, and makes it simple to change around lens/lens options/frames before checkout.

Accufit Digital System makes PD/seg ht/OC ht measurements and frame fit for entry-level frame stylists easier, as well as allowing the verification of measurements/frame fit at a later date. Customers who cannot see without their glasses may also use the image capturing system to feel more confident in their frame choice.

Pay raises occurred every year of employment (however, it was not guaranteed every year, and the end-of-year review ties into how much of a percentage you can expect.) Spiffs for the lab or commission for the retail available, usually dependent on store sales to plan.

Comprehensive online presence, with LUX University and frequently updated, relevant content on the main website.

Competitive benefits available like reimbursing ABO/NCLE exams (if passed), certificates, continuing education, and schooling. Free pair of eyewear after 1 year of employment, frame up to $500 and any lens for free. 50% off prescription eyewear or 30% off non-prescription eyewear. Friends and family coupons once a year.

Cons

No opportunity to move beyond 25hrs part-time after 4+ years with the company

No opportunity to work to a higher position (despite communicating desire to and immediate supervising managers giving access to training) after 4+ years

Not competitive in pay with other retail/lab-on-site locations

More fashion-forward/conscious, reflected in the pricing of frames

Not connected with the doctor's office (may vary on state), which can make it difficult when doctors, patients, and opticians are all on different pages

Hours were scarce and very rigid (new system starting late 2011 for scheduling is based on past year's profits, so no flexibility with hours despite meeting or exceeding current year's goals, which could [did] mean one retail associate, one lab associate, and a store full of frustrated customers.)

Management was constantly fluctuating and changing, at all levels (store, region, etc.)

I do not regret working for LensCrafters, and I really appreciate the experience my coworkers gave me. The people that I knew as leaders--who helped shape the very perception I had of LensCrafters--were great coworkers and even greater teachers. It was unfortunate to learn that LensCrafters had no interest or ability to keep them, as many of my region's directors, store's management, and even the RVP were recruited by other locations within the last year of my employment. LensCrafters was unable to compete with the benefits, the hours, the pay, and the positions available at similar locations. Holding my own career back was not an option, and I was recruited in a similar fashion. It is unfortunate that LensCrafters wanted to lose those who were valuable, productive assets and willingly allowed themselves to be robbed of experience and expertise.

370 Other Employee Reviews for LensCrafters (View Most Recent)

Disappointing, from the absolute leader in the industry.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at LensCrafters

Pros

Making a difference in peoples lives
    Helping people to see better
    Lots to learn

Cons

Constant payroll cuts/reductions
    Layoffs to reduce average wage despite making money hand over fist
    Terrible upper management
    Archaic systems for such a high tech environment
    No inventory access/control
    Poor decision making by senior management

Reward talent and effort- its amazing to me that a President of Stores could go through three demotions in 9 months. Not to mention laying off over 400 retail managers with the promise of more payroll hours, only to DECREASE the number of hours. Sickening that you'd put capable, talented people out of work only to line the shareholders pockets even more. Apparently billions aren't enough.

Experience overall has been positive

I have been working at LensCrafters

Pros

Excellent products and a great reputation bring in a lot of continued business. Job can be fun, especially when getting to know great customers.

Cons

Optics in general can be stressful and the company is behind technologically in tools to make the job easier to perform.

Please invest some money in more up to date computer systems and a better inventory system.

There are newer employer reviews for LensCrafters

Worked for LensCrafters? Contribute to the Community!