There are newer employer reviews for Level 3 Communications

A revolving door of humans

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off, nice coworkers, and work downtown.

Cons

Force the best out, keeps the mediocre, and fires the rest. Great Business model. It keeps employee wages down I guess. $65 a month for parking.

Advice to Management

Keep the people you have even if they are the best. Just give them a raise.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Mid Level Management

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Promotes Wellness, Wages acceptable, Peer-to-peer communication is great, Corporate communication is great.

Cons

Immediate management are very controlling. Do not provide feedback. the review process is poor. It seems Directors tend to build their own internal empires and have a very close "click" and if you are not part of it, no matter how well you execute your job function and responsibilities you are not acknowledged. They are very near term focused and do not look at the big picture.

Advice to Management

Look beyond your personal silos, provide feedback and listen to personnel whom work across the various departments, you will be amazed that it is not just your department that makes Level 3 work.

Company Assessment

Current Employee - Marketing in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Level 3 offers flexible work hours, competitive compensation, and intellectually stimulating work. Most of the colleagues I work with at the middle management layer are well educated, smart, and committed to performance excellence. I believe top management is trying to do the right things and make good decisions on behalf of the business and its employees.

Cons

While the company offers flexible work hours it is challenging to achieve work-life balance. Every year, the goals seem to get more aggressive than the one before, while budgets and headcount stay flat or only slightly increase as we continuously struggle to achieve profitability. These hyper-aggressive goals lead to employee burn-out, performance evaluations that create an unhealthy, internal competition as teams and individuals point to each other as the reason for not achieving their unrealistic objectives, which ultimately leads to fear of being managed out of your current position or worse - fired.

Advice to Management

Slow down. We can keep our foot on the gas while shifting into low gear to reduce wear and tear on employees (especially in organizations such as Marketing where there has been constant shuffling, management turnover and a fundamental lack of appreciaton for what this team is being asked to do after years of neglect). We're still trying to do to many things at once and not doing any one thing exceptionally well.