There are newer employer reviews for Level 3 Communications

Level3 was a growing company with lots of potential.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Broomfield, CO
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Too many layoffs and many reorganizations..

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place to be, if you are at the home office.

I worked at Level 3 Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall, I had a good experience at Level3. Most all of my coworkers were positively engaged and working hard to help the company succeed. There is very little us vs. them mentality at Level3. Most everyone I worked with, across numerous departments, considered themselves no more or less important than anyone else. Most all of my interactions were with folks who considered themselves peers. Overall, I would say compensation might be above standard. In good years a defined bonus can pay off. There is a general, if unspoken agreement that working at Level3 can be harder than working at other places, and the compensation structure reflects that. Especially for folks in the mothership office in Broomfield (Denver) CO, it can be a good place to work.

Cons

As the conglomeration of literally dozens of mergers and acquisitions over the years, Level3 is not a single company, but several companies all still running in parallel. This makes it incredibly hard to get anything done, especially across legacy company boundaries. There are serious personnel and knowledge base issues in the acquired companies, as scores of specific subject matter experts have been laid off, or quit. Back office chaos is rampant, although there are numerous good-faith efforts to reign in some of this chaos, which may eventually pay off. The home office rules. If you are at a non-original Level3 office of an acquired company, your days are numbered. Move to Broomfield or take a package.

Advice to Management

Fix the back office, its killing you. Kill off the hundreds of single purpose apps. Get your order flow under control. Stop talking about it, and make the investment. Not every person and every decision has to be in Broomfield. Embrace a more global perspective for your global company.

Great Benefits, Unreasonable Expectations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Deductibles are low, work out at work. People are great, for the most part.

Cons

The new program of bringing in people through the academy is not well thought out. Training once you're in rotation is slim and you have to pick things up on your own. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Advice to Management

Train people better. The academy is a good idea, but training people for the position they are moving into in a deeper way is much more important. Especially when you're bringing in people who have never worked a day in the telcom industry.