Level 3 Communications

Level 3 see-saw

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Broomfield, CO
Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Level 3 Communications

Pros

The best reason to work for level 3 communications is the cafeteria. Just kidding, level 3 is a company that has struggled, but appears to be on the right track. Level 3 has posted smaller losses and has been cash flow positive for the 1st 2 qtrs of 08. Level 3 may have a lot of debt and some significant challenges coming up, but is a good company with great potential.

Cons

Did a poor job initially of completing merger with aquired companies in 07 thru 08. there has been a push to correct the issues with standard interval for delivery of services, and internally there has been a lot of effort to address issues with order entry, and network managment.

keep on keepin on.

532 Other Employee Reviews for Level 3 Communications (View Most Recent)

Level 3

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Level 3 Communications

Pros

Great network, the biggest, fastest IP network in the world. Level 3 is the Internet! The network is in all major markets and nearly all secondary markets as well ... You get what you pay for and the network is a CHAMP!!

Cons

Senior management has a hard time making important strategic decisions, suffers from poor communication skills and is counting on integration of applications and tools to take the company into the next decade as a "fierce communications provider". Unfortunately, customers suffer, sales people have poor morale and the burdon on the backoffice to complete tasks is incredible.

Hire outside people, promote from within ... move people around more.

Defense Contractor's don't really care which employer they work for...

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator

I have been working at Level 3 Communications

Pros

The customers. Working in the Defense Sector is great because you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment. Most people don't get to see what you do and don't appreciate how hard military, civilians and contractors work and how their job truly is 24/7. We're all over DC so it's easy to find a job when you need a change or when your company loses their contract. It's easy to replace company A with company B and most of them have very similar benefits.

Cons

Because I work for a Military organization, I know very little about L-3 proper. I am more concerned about my customer and our mission than I am about what our silly CEO has to say this week. It's not relevant to me. L-3 got into the defense industry because they can see how much money Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrup, Lockheed, etc are making in the Federal/DOD IT world. Established companies can basically take their existing resources (HR, etc), win a contract, and hire/fire people as necessary. This type of business means almost no overhead for an established company. There is no inventory, there is no product development, it's simply the government outsourcing jobs to defense contractors -- and I think most Defense contractors treat us exactly that way. But, as long as you know that, when you take the job, you'll be alright. I have no personal knowledge or any contacts at L-3. It's definitely different than the corporate world. We're basically islands.

Hello, remember me? I'm the guy who has helped you become one of the largest defense contractors in the country, come see me and say hi once in awhile! Or better yet, forget the VIP tour, just pony up some bonuses to the guys at our level. You guys get all of the bonuses for doing nothing!

There are newer employer reviews for Level 3 Communications