There are newer employer reviews for Leviton

Fair

Former Employee - Intern in Bothell, WA
Former Employee - Intern in Bothell, WA

I worked at Leviton

Pros

Relaxed work culture. Nice people to work with

Cons

Poor salary. Average age of employees is 40+

Better projects for interns

reviews filtered by

Salaried Emplyees Required to 'Punch' a Timeclock - And this is not for project accounting.

Current Employee - Senior Embedded Engineer in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Embedded Engineer in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Leviton

Pros

If you work in a technical position, Management is too ignorant to know whether you are snowing them or telling them the truth.

Cons

This is the Lighting Management Systems division of Leviton Manufacturing.

Salaries are about 20% lower than for the same positions in the area.

As mentioned, Salaried Exempt employees are now required to clock in and out when arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening and for lunch. It was rolled out with a thinly vieled story about tracking vacation accruel.

Most people in management are incompetent - especially in the technical areas. Length of time at the company means more than knowledge and skills. The current Engineering Manager (calls himself a director) has no college degree, but worked in tech services (i.e. field service) for a number of years. Very few in the department respect him.

The company medical plan is self insured. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of NC manage the plan. Being self-insured, the out-of-pocket expense is much higher than the last 2 companies I worked for.

Little to no support staff - comman for high paying engineers to be filling out paper work that could (should) be done by an admin staff individual.

Adversarial relationship between the Engineering Manager (Paul Maddox) and the rest of the comapny. I have been reprimanded for sharing information with Product Management that I certainly thought Product Mgmnt should know.

The company has no clue on how to estimate and manage software projects. Managers do not listen to the engineers they have hired to rpovide this insight. Leviton is a manufacturing company and the management approaches everything with that mindset.

Last, but least - 'scapegoatism' Management insist that you own your failures and mistakes, but refuse to accept any responsibility for those events when their incompetence and decisions have contributed to failures. Paul had 3 projects that are years behind schedule, so he hired project managers for these three projects and immediately started riding them for the project being late.

I have seen 5 people get fired in a 3 year period - the reason is always contrived. In almost any other company, this termiantion rate would be questioned not only by HR but by senior management. Not here. Even without th firings, the turnover rate is extremely high.

I could go on, but if you have taken the time to read this, I think you can imagine some of the other problems with this company.

Listen to the experts that you have hired - they probably know what they are talking about.

Salaried emplyees will not punch a timeclock - they will give you time on project; sick time; vacation time taken; and any other time info you want. Just not from a timeclock.

Intimidating people does not earn respect nor does it make people believe that it makes you important.

Software is the product - but it's not made from nuts and bolts. New products may require solutions that did not have to be discovered in previous projects - not all SW is the same.

When morale is low - it's not necessarily the emplyees fault. Take a look in the mirror.

Something is not quite right here.

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Leviton

Pros

The checks don't bounce.

In all fairness, a company does not remain in business for 100+ years just by shear inertia. Most of what I what I have posted applies to the LMS division and the engineering department specifically, and not to Leviton as a whole. I understand the division in Bothell, WA (Leviton Telcom) is a lot better place to work. I have heard the same complaints about low pay and lack of opportunity from a number of other divisions, so this would appear to be a company wide issue.

Cons

Salaried exempt (you heard that right) individuals are now expected to clock in and out using a Kronos time system.

Projects are consistently behind schedule.

Pay raises are minimal at best. The highest raise for 2009 was 3% despite the division having a good year.

At times the realtionship between the engineering department and other departmets would appear to be adversarial instead of cooperative.

Since I have worked here the turn-over in the engineering department has been enormous. After 2+ years, there are fewer than 6 individuals that have more time in the department.

Listen to what your employees have to say and don't be vindictive if it is not always good news. When so many people are saying te same thing, you may want to adjust your course.

There are newer employer reviews for Leviton