LexisNexis Legal & Professional

www.lexisnexis.com
  www.lexisnexis.com
There are newer employer reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Good company but leaves some things to be desired

Former Employee - Legal Analyst
Former Employee - Legal Analyst

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

I found upper management to be accessible and to have a genuine concern for the employees. The company was very supportive of time off, even if impromptu, as long as your work was under control and deadlines weren't going to be missed and in the case of impromptu time off, the time was made up. Employees were treated as professionals being trusted to make decisions on workflow and content without constant management approval. The company did a very good job at organizing and supporting activities to build camaraderie among employees and community service projects.

Cons

The office where I worked was, in our view (employees in the office) as the "redheaded step child" of the organization, a perception that wasn't aided when during a nationwide teleconference, a senior management official couldn't get our location correct. Regardless of one of the company's values of boundarlessness, groups did not work well across group boundaries. The company was able to underpay employees due to the lack of major employers in the area to give employees options to go elsewhere; however, this wasn't the only company in the area to underpay employees due to this reason. Not the best company for outgoing employees seeking other outgoing employees; most employees are introverted (although there is nothing wrong with that) but still a number of good people there.

Pay employees what they are worth. Employees routinely worked overtime without compensation to ensure their products would be shipped on time and to be able to place as much new content as possible into the products because the employees had pride in their products and quality of work. Don't expect employees to work overtime if they are being underpaid based on a 40 hr workweek and no compensation for overtime. Just because outsourcing is a cheaper option, that doesn't make it the correct one. Truly get behind boundarylessness and ensure that all departments are treated equally and with respect.; they are all on the same side working for the same cause.

718 Other Employee Reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional (View Most Recent)

LexisNexis gutting it's core IT staff for short term financial gains, will be unable to compete within 5 to 10 years.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

They respect personal time and understand work/life balance. The company provide adequate opportunities for personal time and comp time for their staff. Amenities such as onsite dining, sports, and other recreational opportunities allow employees to save time and still remain healthy, active and productive.

They use to have some of the best technical talent and best IT architectures around, but much of that is now gone. The offshore staff they have backfilled (augmented) their existing staff have a very difficult time with development, testing, and quality. Much of the older talent was laid off in this last round of layoffs, many within 5 years of retiring from the company.

Cons

Senior Management is gutting the company to reduce IT costs. Problem is this company's core is IT.

I left on my on terms and have had several colleges that wish they had left too. Most of the long term employees were loyal to LN almost to a fault. They never expected LN to lay them off as they approached their retirements. Unforunately those were some of the first they let go.

I had a superior that was reported to HR for biased reviews and preferential treatment to a single one employee. I somehow became the spokesperson for my peers (because I felt it was wrong and felt it should be addressed properly). The issue went though management and HR as it should. HR identified the issue and mentioned that this was not the first time it had been addressed. Other peers of this supervisor also raised the issue to management. When layoffs hit, the staff that spoke up were let go and the manager and the employee remained. Nothing was done and that was the final straw for me. I didn't leave mad, I just left for better opportunities and found them.

You have prioritized shot term financial milestones over long term success. While that will improve your balance sheet and personal bonuses, it will leave the company unable to compete in the market in 5 to 10 years.

Great people, flexible schedule, but sometimes chaotic company life

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Flexible, great people, family friendly. Generally well-respected in the marketplace but seems to have lost its technological edge over the last few years. Great option for recovering lawyers looking to do something legally-oriented but not practising law. Are non-legal sides of the company, too.

Cons

Constant change; has grown quickly and in many directions and can sometimes be challenging to know what's going on in other parts of the company. This leads to it also being difficult to learn about new products & services - often the customers know about things before employees do. The market for online information has evolved (understatement!) greatly and more change is to come - don't come here if you aren't comfortable with uncertainty.

Part of "listening to the customer" is listening to your own reps who work every day with the customer - if you are looking to create something or change something, ASK US. Most of us started to work here after being LexisNexis customers ourselves, so we can give you a good amount of input without hiring outside analysts and consultants!

There are newer employer reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional