LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Getting Better...

Current Employee - Senior Software Quality Engineer in Dayton, OH
Current Employee - Senior Software Quality Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

2010 showed an improvement in valuing their employees and developing a enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Unfair hiring vs promotion techniques. Putting too much emphasis on "next big thing" while impacting current revenue stream. Not nimble enough in developing new software mainly due to poor product representation.

Advice to Management

Product champions need to be driving development more. Fragmented product representation/requirements causing great inefficiencies.

reviews filtered by

It used to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

The people I worked with were fun and very good at their jobs. We felt like a small company out in Bellevue and were able to get a lot done with a relatively small team. I really like the local management and had a good work/life balance. We were able to get a lot done until...

Cons

In 2010, all development was off-shored to India. Most developers in Bellevue lost their jobs and those with less product experience were retained in Dayton. Bellevue employees feel like Dayton folks protect their own. The moral is very poor.

Advice to Management

Off-shoring works well for repetitive, well-defined development efforts. Don't force all development down that model. It doesn't work well and it is now showing in many areas. Allow mid-level, and front line managers to say so and not make it a career-ending move. Everyone, but upper-management, knows this but is afraid to say anything contrary to the current party-line for fear of repercussions.

All managers need to quit thinking about their own fiefdoms and start thinking about the company and people. Quit saying that it doesn't matter where people are and then making decision based on employee location that impact people's lives.

2. Like any corporate environment it has its advantages and frustrations

Current Employee - Product Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

I love the people in the office, both colleagues and "neighbors" from other teams. Lots of very bright and dedicated people. We really do try to do the right thing and make a difference. Lots of opportunity to innovate.

Cons

Incompetent and abusive employees are tolerated for far too long before the situation gets corrected. Too many root guards

Advice to Management

Be more passionate about what we do than about what position you have achieved in the C office. It filters down to everyone.