LexisNexis Legal & Professional

A Soul Sucking Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Providence, Union, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Providence, Union, NJ

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Non management employees are great. Real team atmosphere at that level. Everyone supports each other at that level. We joke around and get through the day together. (But then, the people hiding in air raid shelters in England while the Germans bombed London during WWII probably joked around too.) Paid time off is comparable to other businesses. Benefits are OK though not great.

Cons

Incredibly stressful, unhappy atmosphere. Most people work in fear of losing their job each day. Constant veiled threats from management about outsourcing/layoffs/what will happen if we miss our (sometimes unrealistic) goals. Upper/middle management (VPs/directors/managers/some team leads) are a joke. New system put into place to "save time" takes more time than original system & does not work as intended. Management fails to recognize this & puts more pressure on employees to make it work (instead of scrapping it or fixing it) but does not account for extra demands on our time. Out of control with metrics. Need a metric to track amount of time spent compiling metrics. No actual correlation between metrics/goals/quotas and how they relate to business and what we do. Flat screen TVs around office could be used to motivate people in positive way but instead often carry negative messages and focus on what is going wrong instead of what is going right. People notice and it feeds the negativity in the office. Everyone seems so miserable most of the time and majority of people are constantly on lookout for new job. Management puts absolutely no emphasis on quality of work, it is all quantity and then they are shocked when customers are unhappy with products. Management does not value employees - not our work, our time, us as people, or the fact that we have lives outside of this place and would like to spend time with our families instead of working 24/7. Very unhealthy. Last winter there was a blizzard and state of emergency declared to keep people off roads. Management was angry many employees worked from home. We are expected to put our safety at risk even though many can do their jobs from home (which is why management feels outsourcing to India could work - but not OK for employees here to work from home when safety is at risk). Get with the times, telecommuting is an excellent perk for underpaid employees, especially when raises do not keep up with basic inflation and gas prices are rising fast. They recently renovated office from regular cubicles to open cubicles. While it is nice & clean & bright, it makes it difficult to concentrate/speak with customers on the phone. Many employees now basically have desks in aisle with people constantly walking by/chatting/etc. VERY distracting. I wonder why productivity suffers? Too bad there is no metric for that! Upper management all sit in offices & have no clue how difficult it is to focus in environment they have created for regular employees. Phil Livingston occasionally works out in open area among the masses. When that happens it is the quietest day ever in the office. Completely unrealistic representation of what it's really like to work in open environment like this. We do the work but get NO respect for it. They even took away our garbage cans! Now we just have recycling bins at our desks and have to get up to throw out each piece of trash. Nothing like a few more interruptions to mess with those metrics! Is the company really too cheap to leave a trash can AND a recycling can at each desk? Wow. Such a small thing that would make a big difference to employees. Pay level is pathetic and raises are a joke even for these tough economic times. There seems to be no opportunities for advancement but who would want to manage/lead a team in this company anyway? This is a place to ride out the recession. Huge turnover here with significant # of contractors instead of fulltime employees. LexisNexis should not be surprised by huge exodus of talent when job market improves. That is what happens when you treat people this way.

Actually listen to what employees are saying in anonymous surveys. Not one employee will tell you to your face what they really think because no matter how bad this place is it is still a job and we have bills to pay, so those surveys are the only time we're honest. Accept that you cannot quantify everything and start focusing on the quality of the products we provide. Our clients can get most of our products/services elsewhere and often for less money, so QUALITY of product & service should be how we differentiate ourselves as a brand. Stop just paying lip service to this and actually back it up for once. No wonder NPS is so terrible. It starts at the top and there's only so much the rest of us can do to fix things yet we are constantly thwarted in our attempts. In reality, improving NPS starts at the bottom and improves until it hits management. That is the problem. We are not treated as professionals and given any amount of latitude to make decisions/really help our customers. Change that. Stop micromanaging to metrics and let us do our jobs. You're just getting in your own way. People want fair compensation, to know our efforts are valued, and to not work in constant fear of losing our jobs. Management should go back to basics and treat people with respect and they might be surprised by results. And hey, would it kill you to keep org charts updated and easily accessible to employees? Email communications are too frequent/too long/poorly organized/riddled with confusing acronyms & corporate speak. Does anyone even read them? How about letting people telecommute more often to save $$ in this difficult economy and with rising gas prices?

695 Other Employee Reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional (View Most Recent)

Good

Current Employee - Client Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Great hours, esp if you have a family.

Cons

Lackluster Exec team. Inflated self-image and concept of value provided to customers.

A lot less than stellar

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

benefits, parking, working with good people

Cons

HR is not on your side, top heavy management, pay is not good at all and no room for advancement

Streamline top management and learn what you are trying to teach. Allow your people to work from home to balance work/life which is something you preach but don't do. Company is not customer service focused and are losing customers daily because management can't seem to get it right. Allow your employees to vent and tell you what is going on in the real world.

There are newer employer reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!