Lexmark
www.lexmark.com Lexington, KY 5000+ Employees

Great for a laid-back summer, but that's about all...

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark full-time for less than a year

Pros- Stress-free work environment (student expectations are low)
- No one was hostile and people were generally friendly if you got to know them
- Kentucky has a low cost of living
- Paid housing for Interns
- Great place to settle down if you're ready to start a family and want a job where you can just do 9 to 5 and spend time with your family.
- I'm going to say a lot of negative things below, but in all fairness there are a ton of great people at the company who actually do care about their profession and what they build, but unfortunately the negatives outweighed the positives in my opinion.

Cons- Work environment is extremely isolating (everyone works in cubicles with floor to ceiling walls - it's torture for an extrovert)
- Departments don't talk to one another
- Employees don't talk to one another (extremely anti-social environment at times)
- Inferior product is produced regularly (I can't tell you how many times I heard "well it's not my problem" or "I'll let the BIOS team handle it")
- Pay is terrible and insulting for an engineering intern despite Kentucky's very low cost of living and the paid housing. I knew graduate students from Ivy League schools interning here who were making less than $20 an hour. Consequently they didn't work hard and had no problem producing inferior product. It was very demotivating to see.
- Also, Lexmark hires contractors to cut costs but keeps these people as contractors for long periods of time. I've heard of people being contractors for 10+ years with the company. Personally I find this unethical. Similarly to the intern pay situation mentioned above, I saw contractors being paid very low wages, producing low quality solutions, and doing things like watching The Price is Right for an hour every day on company time. Again, it was very demotivating to see this.
- The average age of the workforce is probably 40. It's hard to make friends/find younger people in the company. Like I said, great place to work if you want to settle down and just want stable work...
- Well actually Lexmark isn't doing so well financially so I don't know how stable that work is going to be in the near future... I give them 10 more years (max) until the majority of their earnings come from companies they acquire.
- An internship here could be very lonely if you don't socialize with other interns and depending on when you're down there interns are far and few to come by. Summer is their busiest time of the year in terms of student population, and honestly if you're down there any time other than the summer you're not going to have fun. I was told by multiple people who co-oped during the spring that it was the most depressing moment of their lives. They aren't coming back.
- In fact, only two or three interns I know here who don't live in Lexington are going to be coming back next summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like management makes every decision based on how much money it will either save or make. I get it you run a business, but why don't you put product, ideas, and people first? Pay your people well, destroy the isolating floor-to-ceiling walls that your engineers are stuffed into, and create a culture of responsibility and innovation.

Also stop ensuring employees that "printing is not dead" at meetings. It's dead. It's been dead for a long time too. Not one single intern owns a printer, doesn't that say something? Seriously though, pay your interns better, get rid of the useless people who are just dead weight, pay the good people really well, and demand excellence from everyone.

Good place but could be so much more.

Industrial Designer (Current Employee)
Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Good life work balance. Low stress. Cons: Too many decisions are based solely on cost. Advice to Senior Management: Design needs to have a Director or VP level representation… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros: Good place to start career Cons: Not much growth opportunities in this area other than this… More

There are newer reviews on Lexmark.

Worked for Lexmark? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lexmark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lexmark CEO Paul A. Rooke. All reviews posted anonymously by Lexmark employees.