There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark

Never received a raise

Former Employee - Support Technician  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Lexmark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job wasn't too bad. Worked with fun people.

Cons

6 years and never received a raise despite being a top performer. When I threatened to leave my boss's boss came to town and asked me to stay. Couldn't offer me more money just asked me to stay.

I understand the company has had hard times. There was a hiring freeze in effect pretty much the whole time I was there but find someway to reward the exceptional employees.

82 Other Employee Reviews for Lexmark (View Most Recent)

Great Company

Former Employee - Inkjet Division  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Inkjet Division in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lexmark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall everyting is great! Pay, Culture and Benefits. Provides a lot of career development opportunities to grow professionally

Cons

Company has been going through downsizing for many years. Anyone looking to get a job with this company should be aware if your looking for stability this is not the best time to get on board. They have reduced their workforce so much but then turn around and hire through temp agencies. Many people complain about never feeling like an equal employee when hired in through Adecco or another contracting company. Like they hold the carrot of being hired and never do. I on the other hand was hired in years ago as a Lexmark employee and never felt as if I was not a true employee.

When you are communicating your plans to lay off hundreds of people in a meeting, it's probably not the best time to say oh yeah by the way we just hired "so and so" and they come to Lexmark from from XX company. Maybe look from within the company at employees who are going to be Laid off or commuicate the layoff and the new hires at a different time.

Great for a laid-back summer, but that's about all...

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Stress-free work environment (student expectations are low)
    - No one was hostile and people were generally friendly if you got to know them
    - Kentucky has a low cost of living
    - Paid housing for Interns
    - Great place to settle down if you're ready to start a family and want a job where you can just do 9 to 5 and spend time with your family.
    - I'm going to say a lot of negative things below, but in all fairness there are a ton of great people at the company who actually do care about their profession and what they build, but unfortunately the negatives outweighed the positives in my opinion.

Cons

- Work environment is extremely isolating (everyone works in cubicles with floor to ceiling walls - it's torture for an extrovert)
    - Departments don't talk to one another
    - Employees don't talk to one another (extremely anti-social environment at times)
    - Inferior product is produced regularly (I can't tell you how many times I heard "well it's not my problem" or "I'll let the BIOS team handle it")
    - Pay is terrible and insulting for an engineering intern despite Kentucky's very low cost of living and the paid housing. I knew graduate students from Ivy League schools interning here who were making less than $20 an hour. Consequently they didn't work hard and had no problem producing inferior product. It was very demotivating to see.
    - Also, Lexmark hires contractors to cut costs but keeps these people as contractors for long periods of time. I've heard of people being contractors for 10+ years with the company. Personally I find this unethical. Similarly to the intern pay situation mentioned above, I saw contractors being paid very low wages, producing low quality solutions, and doing things like watching The Price is Right for an hour every day on company time. Again, it was very demotivating to see this.
    - The average age of the workforce is probably 40. It's hard to make friends/find younger people in the company. Like I said, great place to work if you want to settle down and just want stable work...
    - Well actually Lexmark isn't doing so well financially so I don't know how stable that work is going to be in the near future... I give them 10 more years (max) until the majority of their earnings come from companies they acquire.
    - An internship here could be very lonely if you don't socialize with other interns and depending on when you're down there interns are far and few to come by. Summer is their busiest time of the year in terms of student population, and honestly if you're down there any time other than the summer you're not going to have fun. I was told by multiple people who co-oped during the spring that it was the most depressing moment of their lives. They aren't coming back.
    - In fact, only two or three interns I know here who don't live in Lexington are going to be coming back next summer.

It seems like management makes every decision based on how much money it will either save or make. I get it you run a business, but why don't you put product, ideas, and people first? Pay your people well, destroy the isolating floor-to-ceiling walls that your engineers are stuffed into, and create a culture of responsibility and innovation.

Also stop ensuring employees that "printing is not dead" at meetings. It's dead. It's been dead for a long time too. Not one single intern owns a printer, doesn't that say something? Seriously though, pay your interns better, get rid of the useless people who are just dead weight, pay the good people really well, and demand excellence from everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark

Worked for Lexmark? Contribute to the Community!