Lexmark

There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark

Time to move

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lexmark as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent fun loving work environment, casual clothes & language.
Flexible hours ( based on your manager & team).
Book clubs and discussion groups, people willing to grow.
All employees are fairly accessible but unhealthy competition is on rise.

Cons

Sudden layoffs & high attrition. All people who can find jobs elsewhere are slowly leaving the sinking boat before their day comes.
Contracted workers for for over 10 year, without any growth opportunity and dismissal pay hike.
Not many other career opportunities in the Lexington area.
Veteran developers, fairly recently move in to agile, most people effectively work less than 4 hours per day. Lot of time people email or "check in" code at odd times (9 PM - 4 AM) just to show how hard they work.
Firmware teams consider all other teams as low life, management hardly believes in the solution / print services products. Printer market is on downward spiral, everybody is waiting for hell to freeze over.

Many people were laid off ( not just from inkjet division ) when management clearly said no layoffs and was in hiring ( more contractors) mode. It is now hard to trust managers and every one thinks that Lexmark is going down in less than 10 years once all the vendor - laser contracts expires. Lot of 'average' performers / new contract hires from many teams were laid off while those close to management were retained. The software solutions (document management) that Lexmark is pursuing is not used internally, other companies have already failed in print services. Management has lost focus heard that they want to enter market of Unstructured Device Management ( health care sector ), another hiring and firing round.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Lexmark (View Most Recent)

Never received a raise

Former Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Lexmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job wasn't too bad. Worked with fun people.

Cons

6 years and never received a raise despite being a top performer. When I threatened to leave my boss's boss came to town and asked me to stay. Couldn't offer me more money just asked me to stay.

I understand the company has had hard times. There was a hiring freeze in effect pretty much the whole time I was there but find someway to reward the exceptional employees.

Great Company

Former Employee - Inkjet Division in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Inkjet Division in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lexmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall everyting is great! Pay, Culture and Benefits. Provides a lot of career development opportunities to grow professionally

Cons

Company has been going through downsizing for many years. Anyone looking to get a job with this company should be aware if your looking for stability this is not the best time to get on board. They have reduced their workforce so much but then turn around and hire through temp agencies. Many people complain about never feeling like an equal employee when hired in through Adecco or another contracting company. Like they hold the carrot of being hired and never do. I on the other hand was hired in years ago as a Lexmark employee and never felt as if I was not a true employee.

When you are communicating your plans to lay off hundreds of people in a meeting, it's probably not the best time to say oh yeah by the way we just hired "so and so" and they come to Lexmark from from XX company. Maybe look from within the company at employees who are going to be Laid off or commuicate the layoff and the new hires at a different time.

There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark