There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark

Lexmark: We're always working...

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Lexmark is a unique environment. I have been there for almost a year and a half now. Thus far I believe the thing I like most about my job environment is the freedom. My job allows me to work as much or as little as I would like. Managers rarely micromanage and I have the freedom to execute my tasks as I see fit. As long as the deadlines are met workers have the freedom to explore other areas which they may find interesting. Originally my job description defined my job as strictly testing. I expanded my horizons however by incorporating programming and within a year my job title had changed.

Lexmark is also a very diverse environment so it gives you the opportunity to work with people from across the globe. This type of variety allows you to gain a perspective different from you own.

Cons

Some of Lexmark's strengths also serve as weaknesses as well. Managers are sometimes too hands off. They give a project and then never check in until it is due. Sometimes there are workers which take a few hours off for lunch or take take 5 30 minute smoke breaks a day, but management never notices.

Another issue is the number of contractors working with Lexmark. Lexmark hires workers as contractors, but uses them as full time employees. They do the same work as a full time hire, but do not get the same compensation. This leads to contractors resenting management and full time hires. They do not treat their work with the same amount of pride because they feel as though their efforts are not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate to contract workers whether there is a plan to help them move on to a full time regular employment. If there is no plan communicated to the employee it is natural that most will view Lexmark as a temporary position until they can find a "real" job. Until this problem is solved you will continue to struggle with high turn over rates and mediocre job performance from workers who are capable of so much more.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Lexmark headed downhill.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Good 401K and retirement package.

Cons

Too many levels of managment. Lexmark only concerned about making things cheap, not creating new and exciting technology. Promotions are given to employees who don't deserve, while others who get all the work done are not.

Advice to Management

Focus on just making a good printer.

2. Good work life balance, but limited career growth

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Calcutta (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Calcutta (India)

I have been working at Lexmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Provides oppurtunities to learn new technologies at your own pace.
    Good work environment and facilities
    Small team size, easier to get recognized if you are willing to put in the effort.
    Casuals on all days of the week ensures that your wardrobe is utilized well.

Cons

Experience can vary complete from one team to another, depending upon co worker and manager
    It might not be possible for you to stick to a single technology, so expect steep learning curves when your work technology changes.
    Some teams are bogged down by ego issues.
    Appraisal can be a hit or miss. You would have put in some effort in the beginning to build up your reputation.
    Exrtremely flat hierarchy. Do not come here if you are in love with designations and are of a climber mentality.
    Managers in India are mostly playing the role of people managers and doing the delegation work. Some of them are technically quite sound, but unfortuantely have too less of a say in the global sense. Do not expect them to fight your cause in case of issues.

Advice to Management

It is better if you put people in appropriate bands based upon experience and capability and pay them according to that scale. Some transparency regarding the same will go a long way in employee retention.
    Not everyone has same career goals and capabilities. It would be wise if the manager can help the employees maximize their potential and help themselves align with their aspirations as long as they fit in within the broader company perspective.