Lexmark

Lexmark minefield

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

The employee base is made up of genuinely nice people and the on-site cafeteria is good. Also, the Kentucky countryside is beautiful.

Cons

My first day on the job, I was absolutely stunned with the overall state of the company -- clearly one of those: "What have I gotten myself into?" moments. Corporate strategy is grossly out of touch with the competition and current trends. Management is stacked and heavy-handed (micro-managing thrives); no employee morale; antiquated IT systems (Lotus Notes for e-mail? I thought that went out in the 90's.)

Clear the decks! If Lexmark has even a chance to lift itself above the "small shop" status that it finds itself in, start from the top down.

90 Other Employee Reviews for Lexmark (View Most Recent)

Mis-directed Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Lexmark has some of the most competitive retirement benefits in the area. If you like Lexington, it is one of the biggest employers here.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the last five years has created a tense atmosphere. Projects often seem more "me-too" than truly innovative. Company operates in a mature commodity market.

Stop designing products by feature checklist. Instead focus on designing experiences for customers. It is the only way to truly differentiate in a commodity market like printing. Features are easy for competitors to copy quickly.

Good Place to Start

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

You will learn the fundamentals of your field and get a good idea of how a Fortune 500 company works.

Cons

It is difficult to be promoted or get a raise because they are very tight on budgets. Negotiate a good salary when you get hired because there are very few raises. Also, managers are very territorial and you may sometimes feel like you're working for the government or a large bureaucracy.

Senior management is very good; much better than the very low approval ratings they were given by employees. But they're out of touch with reality and PR is very bad because they continue to accept large bonuses as the company underperforms.

There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark