There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark

Slightly disfunctional company, needs new leadership.

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Located in beautiful small city. Reasonably interesting work. Salaries may not be the best, but if you have a good first line manager, there are several work/life balance perks. Medical plan is good, non-monetary benefits are pretty good compared to other companies.

Cons

Too much work, not enough people. Incompetent leadership at the very top and in several middle manager positions. Pressure to overwork with no discernible benefit. There is not enough emphasis on research and development to maintain a solid marketshare with new products. Too singular focus on printing, not enough on possible related technologies that would diversify the product line.

Advice to Management

Reduce the layers of middle management, provide a closer pathway between low level employees and the top levels of management. Allow for more innovation and expanded product lines. Hire more engineers, since product quality is suffering due to engineers in Lexington having to redo work by engineers in Cebu, Philippines.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Lexmark: We're always working...

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Lexmark is a unique environment. I have been there for almost a year and a half now. Thus far I believe the thing I like most about my job environment is the freedom. My job allows me to work as much or as little as I would like. Managers rarely micromanage and I have the freedom to execute my tasks as I see fit. As long as the deadlines are met workers have the freedom to explore other areas which they may find interesting. Originally my job description defined my job as strictly testing. I expanded my horizons however by incorporating programming and within a year my job title had changed.

Lexmark is also a very diverse environment so it gives you the opportunity to work with people from across the globe. This type of variety allows you to gain a perspective different from you own.

Cons

Some of Lexmark's strengths also serve as weaknesses as well. Managers are sometimes too hands off. They give a project and then never check in until it is due. Sometimes there are workers which take a few hours off for lunch or take take 5 30 minute smoke breaks a day, but management never notices.

Another issue is the number of contractors working with Lexmark. Lexmark hires workers as contractors, but uses them as full time employees. They do the same work as a full time hire, but do not get the same compensation. This leads to contractors resenting management and full time hires. They do not treat their work with the same amount of pride because they feel as though their efforts are not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate to contract workers whether there is a plan to help them move on to a full time regular employment. If there is no plan communicated to the employee it is natural that most will view Lexmark as a temporary position until they can find a "real" job. Until this problem is solved you will continue to struggle with high turn over rates and mediocre job performance from workers who are capable of so much more.

Lexmark headed downhill.

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Good 401K and retirement package.

Cons

Too many levels of managment. Lexmark only concerned about making things cheap, not creating new and exciting technology. Promotions are given to employees who don't deserve, while others who get all the work done are not.

Advice to Management

Focus on just making a good printer.