Liberty Diversified Industries

www.libertydiversified.com
  www.libertydiversified.com
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Diversified Industries

Change is needed from the top down

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  New Hope, MN
Current Employee - Middle Management in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries

Pros

The people, the support and camaraderie of ones fellow employees is fantastic. The employees at each division of LDI truly know the meaning of the word "teamwork" and go out of their way to help each other succeed. When it comes to difficult situations (either personal or work-related) you could not find a better support system than the ad-hock group of work friends.

Cons

There is a varying and inconsistent message continually flowing throughout the organization. Due to the inability of the executive team to honestly present and debate their vision with Mike Fiterman, employees receive Mikes vision, and then many of the executive team come through with their vision which, at times, area 180 degrees different from Mike.
The compensation offered is much less than what is offered in the local market. LDI is torn between being a "family business" where lower salaries are expected due to small size and an "international" company with an employee base of over 1500 and operations throughout the world where rewards are comparable to other similar companies.
The constant flushing of management. Most of the General Managers for each Division ("Business") have been on board for fewer than 3 years. This revolving door assures that each Division is either training in a new GM, adjusting to a new direction, or awaiting the arrival of the newest GM. With this model, true consistency and growth will never be achieved and the 2010 vision will not be achieved.
The money and effort spent to market the businesses as "the best place to work" or "community focused" when the employees are the ones who make that possible. The survey results that indicate this miss the point that people within the businesses create this feeling within their business unit, it is not happening from the top down, but the bottom up.

Be honest with each other, be honest with Mike. You are all shirking your responsibility by not debating opposing views and you are damaging the company by allowing Mike to micromanage divisions that he no longer has day to day contact with. If you cannot confront this basic problem that resonates throughout the business, you are not earning your keep. Believe it or not, lower level employees realize the misalignment between the Executive Team and it is a cloud that remains over our daily work lives as we wait for the next zig or zag in our individual direction.
Compensate your people fairly so that you do not have to worry about other companies taking your best talent.
Hire the best people you can and let them run the businesses. Do not send an Executive Team member through with new ideas, clouding the direction already issued by the GM on a regular basis.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Diversified Industries (View Most Recent)

LDI

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time

Pros

Liberty Diversified International's company benefits are very, very good. The medical coverage and PTO accrual are especially generous. There is a lot of emphasis on doing work for the community and giving back either in United Way weekly deductions or through donating your time to volunteer.

Cons

A bit of hypocrisy, do as I say not as I do, goes on depending on who is in the audience.

Not an Employer of Choice

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries

Pros

The company had a great benefits package. The people that work there are incredible, with some great talent. There is an atmosphere of team work. If you are looking for some good experience, the opportunity to work with some great people, and do not plan on being employed here for a long time, then you should try to become an LDI employee.

Cons

The pay is about 20 less than the average compensation in the market place. There is always a promise of future earnings, but that does not come fruition. There is also a lack of appreciation of employees. Trust is extremely low., morale is lower. Every time the firings and layoffs seem to have subsided, there is quietly another round. LDI has changed incredibly over the last few years, and not just because of the economy. The Executive team keeps changing. General Manager keep changing. Senior Management is turned over quite a bit, and the long term individual contributors are being let go little by little. I never thought I would say this, but I am glad to be no longer associated with the company. That is too bad, as I used really appreciate my team mates, but I decided to move on to company who appreciated me.

Compensate your employees fairly. Appreciate your employees for their talent. Trust your employees. You want to be a "Great Place to Work" and you keep pushing that down the employees throats, but that is far from the truth. Study other companies, find those that truly are great places to work, bench mark what a truly great place to work is, and implement the actions to make it happen. You have lost some great employees, and as the economy improves, you will see a mass exodus.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Diversified Industries

Worked for Liberty Diversified Industries? Contribute to the Community!