Liberty Mutual Insurance

No Pay for Performance

Current Employee - Property Adjuster
Current Employee - Property Adjuster

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Excellent time off, vacation time

Cons

No pay for performance as promised, no promotions on merit (just time in service), pay is "ehhhh" compared to other companies, tons of duplicating processes.

Be prepared to lose more employees with the lackadaisical attitude towards promotions and increases.

1289 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance (View Most Recent)

Not So Great In the Claims Department

Former Employee - Senior Claims Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Consultant

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Great vacation, although it is difficult to use it because you get two months behind if you take a week off. Pay is very good (the only way they can keep people in the claims department). Advancement within the department is quick, and your pay increases rapidly (if you do a good job).

Cons

Management is incompetent. Amount of work asked to do is just not possible. Turnover is extremely high, especially with recent graduates. Very difficult to move jobs within the company. If you are a good employee, they will do everything they can to keep you in the claims department. I would still be there if I would have been given the opportunity to interview outside of the claims department. Upper management would not allow me to interview outside of the claims department, so I left.

The company requires you to have a college degree to get hired, but many of the managers do not have college degrees. This makes no sense. Management: your employees are not passionate of claims handling, who would be. Think outside of the claims department. The company is losing great employees because management is so ridiculous about keeping great employees stuck in the claims department. My advice to recent graduates: do not buy into their "great place to start a career" unless you are starting in a position outside of the claims department. Could be a really great company if employees were valued more, and allowed to advance in the areas that best fits everyones needs, not just the claims department's needs.

Lots of good intentions, mixed results.

Current Employee - Principal Software Developer
    Current Employee - Principal Software Developer

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Company values employees and encourages work life balance.
    Financially sound even in this economy.
    It's a big company with many departments and good people.

Cons

The Budget rules decision making and is often inflexible.
    Middle management is afraid of failure.
    Processes and procedures inhibit change.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance