There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Not what I expected from a Fortune 500 Company

Current Employee - Paralegal I in Carmel, IN
Current Employee - Paralegal I in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits paid by the company are great.

Cons

Your work /life balance is off, the local office I work in is lacking in proper management. The office atmosphere is very tense and there is preferential treatment. They also lack the proper training for the job you are required to do.

Advice to Management

To treat everyone the same, and not preferential treatment.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good co-workers (mostly), poor management with political agendas

Former Employee - Claims
    Former Employee - Claims

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Nice desk, nice chair and coworkers.

Cons

No upward options, unless you really, really kiss butt. It is not what you know, it is who you know and how well they like you. The company would rather hire an outside candidate who knows nothing about insurance than top promote from within. And that outside person they just hired? Well, he/she will not be doing their for for at least 4-6 weeks as they sit in a classoroom and get a 1-2 month crash course on the entire world of insurance and claims. But hey, you have worked there for many years and have a huge knowledge of the business, but they would rather you sit right where you are and make less than newly hired colleagues. The company preference is to keep skilled workers paid less until they quit or get fired. Also, the management never listens to real ideas about problems or needed changes. Don't ever point out someone's mistake because the company would rather you ignore it and sweep it away. You will look more and more like a trouble maker and instigator if you find errors or room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Get all new management.

Corporate monotony at its cruelest.

Former Employee - Insurance Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The downtown location was nice. Now they're moving to a soulless strip mall in the most trafficked area of the County. Much more appropriate, I think.

Cons

Unappeasable HO directives from Boston that make no sense in regional offices. Subpar pay, frequent sweeping surprise lay-offs, impossibly low morale, hypocritical policies and about as much fun, intellectual stimulation, and job satisfaction as pulling out your own finger nails with rusty pliers.

Advice to Management

Be nice, for Pete's sake. I never seen an inexplicably crueler workplace environment in my life.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance