Liberty Mutual Insurance

www.libertymutualgroup.com
  www.libertymutualgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Not enough time in the day

Current Employee - Disability Claims Case Manager
Current Employee - Disability Claims Case Manager

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good vacation/time off, good benefits. Well-developed training program

Cons

There is a constant lack of staffing. People resign all too often and they don't hire people quickly enough. We are held to daily, weekly and monthly metrics that are all but impossible to meet with our current caseloads. Management states they are understanding of the situation, but from what I can see, it's business as usual for them and all the employees are expected to be near-perfect with ever-increasing caseloads. Micromanagement is an issue, for me at least, and I feel as if I can't ever do well enough or finish goals quickly enough. I've been working 45-50 hour weeks, and that really drags you down after a while (especially when the extra effort isn't recognized because it doesn't fall into one of the metrics that management cares so much about). I'll admit- this is a starter job for me, and unfortunately, I don't know how long I'll continue to put up with it.

Hire enough people. Then, make adjustments so that those people stick around.

1196 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance (View Most Recent)

Top of the Line Development Programs, Very Competent Management, but Below Average Compensation After Entry Level

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Arguably some of the best developmental training programs for entry level college students in the entire industry for Underwriting and Claims
    - Strongly encourages continuing education and personal development growth
    - Recent restructuring of company has been designed to consistently take in front line feedback
    - Very competent management, both at managerial and executive levels, at least within California offices; management is involved, but does not excessively micromanage
    - Positive morale in the office, largely due to local profitability; people from competing companies are often willing to take pay cuts to come to Liberty due to the better work/life balance.
    - Management recently has been doing significantly better at recognizing all employee contributions and efforts, whether verbally or through small incentives

Cons

- While compensation is generous for entry level, the difference in pay grade tiers is minimal. For example, one of my promotions had a smaller pay increase than what their "standard of living increase" the prior year consisted of. Promotion was a flat 5.00% increase.
    - Tends to lose the most talented employees to competitors that pay more. Relies heavily on employees not willing to relocate for other jobs, especially if there is not much competition in the area.
    - New restructuring of the company has inundated front line employees with excessive amounts of meetings; meetings often focus on extremely tedious and inconsequential matters
    - Company does not have a strong "promote from within" culture. Even if there are qualified internal members for a position, they prefer to hire from outside, with the mentality they are gaining a new valuable asset while retaining an existing one in the current role.

- It is commonly known within the company that the best way to "move up" is to transfer to another company and then transfer back in a few years, if you prefer to work at Liberty. Have a stronger focus on promoting from within, you have incredibly talented/competent front line underwriters and managers that get passed up on promotions to "bring in new perspective." - - Be willing to pay more competitively, at least for the very top performers, even if it means paying your lowest performers even less. There is not enough of a pay differential.
    - PEAK is great in concept but is excessive in its standardization of processes and is overly time consuming. Keep the practices, but tone down the frequency and tedious requirements.
    - Positive company morale is a large factor that's keeping underpaid employees from leaving. Make sure to maintain it.

An excellent place to grow your insurance and business skills

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company with over 100 years in the business. Modern approaches to managing people (ie, getting and using front line input, ensuring that policies are followed by everyone and not just singling out a few, pay for performance). Competitive pay.

Cons

Diminishing employee benefits year after year due to "what other companies are doing." Compensation/benefits losing some of it's competitivness, so they may be "just par" in a another couple years.

Your best employees don't mind difficult targets as long as the compensation and benefits stay and increase to keep up with efforts and experience. This is still one of the best places to have a career, but it is disheartening to see that we are loosing benefits each year such as pension and 401k match. If the trend continues, I know quite a few strong performers who are ready to look elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance