There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

great place to work, if you don't care about that sort of thing

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I cannot think of all the pros that come to mind. Getting micro managed, unfairly treated, dealing with comp plan changes on an annual basis... Once in awhile we got free food?

Cons

Worse area manager ever. the area manager ruined the whole entire state of Maryland. Yet they did not fire her, they demoted her to a branch manager. Also, people promoted out of now sales roles to sales leadership positions... worse business plan ever....

Advice to Management

advance those who should advance,

reviews filtered by

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation
    Good benefits
    Good culture/people
    Good opportunity in home office
    Strong company name

Cons

Bad Upper Management
    Inexperienced Direct Managers
    Premium rate increases
    Very conservative
    Poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

Move up the people who deserve it and have the experience, not the ones who look best on paper.

I left there scratching my head.....

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive to other large insurers

Cons

It's almost shocking the degree of disconnect between senior management and front line employees. I was rated a top 10% performer multiple years, however in my last year it was clear that I was being set up to fail so I moved on to a better opportunity. It's also quite evident that the company is seeing a slowed revenue growth in recent years in domestic operations. They say it is intentional. I'm not so sure about that as there are many growing domestic insurers doing well.

Here is my experience:

> Management "leads" by threats, coercion and micromanagement. They think they are leaders because they create silly contests making professional employees feel like they are in romper room. This is one of the reasons I left. I can't work for idiots.

> Reverse discrimination and age discrimination are rampant in certain units.

> They promote if you move around the country for them. As a a result, they have hundreds of incompetent drones who move around the country chasing high performers out of the company.

> Management decreases expenses by increasing workloads of front line supervisors/claim handlers and closing/relocating offices every few years to hire younger, lower paid employees. They keep mid level managers with the same or less of a workload so that they have more of them to micromanage through the ensuing chaos. When you combine this with their six sigma and "operations" people in the office with "nothing much to do all day" it tends to create some resentment.

If you like this sort of thing then this is the place for you.

If insurance was not compulsory in most states this company very well could be in receivership.

Advice to Management

Goals and metrics are necessary in any organization. It is critical to achieve them, but it is also critical HOW you achieve them.