Liberty Mutual Insurance

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

employment, office located in good neighborhood in the city.

Cons

corporate structure, title driven, hard to advance, LOW pay compared to market, folks put themselves on pedestals because of their title, so much so that they wont respond to an email from lower level employees if theyre a manager (unless you include all those who are 'above' you on the email). reminds me of the book 1984. its easy to get pigeonholed. your experience is not transferable, so after 15 years as a Sr. Accountant, good luck if you get laid off due to restructure (which happens all the time). they encourage lateral moves to further diversify your background, which only spreads you thinner and less marketable outside. heavy heavy office politics. they don't care for their employees no matter what they preach, your treated like a child, not a professional. On days before holidays, grown adults "professionals'' sit around and wait for an email from mgt "allowing" them to leave early...really?? what is this 1st grade? no one knows what theyre talking about (non professional). they preach higher education, so many people enrolled in grad programs, and they dont know why theyre getting their degree. Oh because they wont promote you to manager w/o a masters (regardless of how much experience you have). stay away at all cost, "Start here go no where" should be the modo in the corp office. Full of people who put on a tie, work in the city get paid garbage and think their better than others. go elsewhere it will take you further, dont get caught in their trap. No training structure. I was let go as a result of a reorg, and literally 1 month later i found a role with another insurance company, paying me $22k more/year. I am not making that up. with 7 more vaca days and 10 actual sick days.

get over yourself, stop treating those who are not on the same level as you as inferior. care about the professional development of your staff. Pay market base salary.

1282 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance (View Most Recent)

Liberty Mutual is way behind in the Insurance Industry, Auto Claims was the worst job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pension, 401k, time off

Cons

The entire job is a con. The workload and deadlines are just ridiculous. The goals are set so high that they almost make it impossible for you to meet "CSAT" scores, which affect your bonus and raise. Everyone is micro-managed to the max. I have never seen a company micro manage so much. Management of course does nothing but tell you what you are doing wrong and never what you are doing right. The hours are very bad, two weekend shifts a month, and almost never get out on time.

Hire more people to balance the workload. Dont make employees act like robots on the phone. Tell QA to cool it and let a person act like a human on the phone instead of a robot.

Staff Counsel Paralegal - Senior

Current Employee - Paralegal II in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Paralegal II in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice people to work with; very collegial management style. Support staff restructuring led to many layoffs and/or relocation negatively affecting employee morale.Team work and supportive environment at the local office level make getting the job done a pleasant experience for the most part.

Cons

Office decor was among the worst I'd ever seen for a legal office environment. Top down management from home office with constantly changing vision of staff counsel environment and job duties created friction and insecurity.

My best advice to upper management would be to get out of the way and let local office management do their jobs. The round-hole round-peg, square-hole square-peg, one size fits all model of staff counsel operations was often counter-productive, particularly negatively affecting attorney-management relations.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance