There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

The under the microscopic lens, micro managed Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Base salary to get off your feet (for a very short period of time). Paid time off, pension if you hang around long enough.

Cons

I've been in sales before, and one of the big perks about sales is having flexibility to get in to work, do what you need to do, make your sales and follow ups, and get on with your day (networking, etc.). NOT the case here. I don't want to sound like I expected to work 2 hours per day and feed my kids, but the system they have here is ridiculous. You could literally sell your week's worth of policies in an hour to hit your quota, but if you don't make the required amount of phone calls for the day, you'll get scolded by your branch manager. Ease up for God's sake, if you're making your sales numbers and get your business from referral sources and networking rather than cold calling 50 people per day, who the hell cares? You will be tracked on EVERYTHING and I mean E V E R Y T H I N G that you do on a daily basis. Quotes, new quotes, calls, type of customer you are quoting, activity, etc etc etc. Ease up and let us do our jobs. For being a company that bases it's operations off of "lean" concepts, we sure waste a TON of time tracking all of this nonsense and then talking about why afterwards. If I'm selling above my quota, which I am, leave me alone please!

Pricing has become a major issue as of late as well. Even for our "A" customers (which can be tough to come across) I find us consistently being beat out by other reputable companies, not just your run of the mil online shop.

I could go on for a few more paragraphs but I'll be brief with the rest of my gripes:
- my branch manager has never worked in sales. Ever. Why are they in charge of a team of sales people when they have never done the job themselves? Would Google hire an IT manager with a background managing McDonald's cooks?
- sales being stolen by more senior reps and/or call center workers and nothing I can do about it.
- Micro management
- absolutely NO training after the initial on ramping period.
- Salary cut in HALF once you are out of training, as well as an annual decrease thereafter
- Micro management
- Renewals......what renewals? 1.5% on a $900 auto policy? Do you realize how many policies that will take to make up for the $3-5k annual decrease in salary? Which leads me to my next point.....
- Pressure to SELL SELL SELL. If you aren't writing new business you'll either lose your job or go hungry no matter how well you do the previous 6 months.
- Annuity products are an absolute joke. I would rather pass a client off to a colleague at a different company who can treat my client right in hopes of referrals in the future instead of feeling guilty for "securing future guaranteed income" for them at a whopping 1%. I KNOW we are making WAY more money than that off of their deposit, that just isn't right. I literally would not be able to sleep at night knowing that there are several other companies offering far better products. This is people's money we're talking about, their livelihood that they've worked their entire lives for, but we are the bad guys in the eyes of management for not selling them on a bad annuity product. I've sold plenty of life insurance policies, which are solid, but the annuities need a major revamp.
- zero chance of advancement in the sales role except to Lead and Senior Sales Rep, which isn't even really a huge deal. It's the same job with a few perks. But it is also incredibly difficult to get there.
- Did I mention Micro Management?
- dishonesty from the top to make sales even when it's not right for the customer.
- Do I really need to say it again?
- Huge influx of sales reps within local offices. I understand we need to grow as a company, but you're diluting the pool for solid sales reps with people who won't last or don't know what the heck they are doing. Quality, not quantity.

What management? If you're talking about the dictator that works in my office and breaths down everybody's neck, then here's some advice: READ A LEADERSHIP BOOK AND/OR LEARN FROM OTHER SUCCESSFUL MANAGERS IN THE COMPANY!!!

reviews filtered by

lies and deceit

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

large company, stable
    great time-off policies (but will change)

Cons

openly lie to employees to elicit relocation
    make promises with no intent to follow through
    constantly re-organize with total lack of coordinated direction
    overly reliant on faulty models
    tiny work spaces
    high turnover
    average to below average benefits after sequential annual reduction

stop hiring ivy league mbas and assuming that those are by default qualified individuals
    abandon LMS before you sink the ship

Not the place for you if you expect fair dealings.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Salary and vacation days off.

Cons

Leadership in the office is terrible with seemingly no oversight of any kind. Other departments appear to fare better.

Time for a change in senior management, actually it was time for a change two years ago.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance