Liberty Mutual Insurance

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Intern Experience-YMMV

Current Employee - Finance in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Finance in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation was good(17/hour) as a sophomore intern, the amenities nice(had my own cubicle) and you can't beat the location. The large company also provides a lot of opportunity for moving around and strengthening your network given it's size. Business casual is also a plus too(it was a trial run this summer no idea if it's going to be implemented) plus good cafe and food services provided by the company.

Cons

The hiring process was a huge pain in the rear. My first interview was November on campus, followed by an email two weeks later to come to the office for the interview. They rescheduled me twice during January and I was told I would hear back in two weeks but didn't hear back for 3 MONTHS!!!

After that I was called about my lack of owning a credit card, and needed to jump through hoops to provide proof I was an enrolled student.

While an intern you could have compressed all the work I did to just a two week period. If it wasn't for the meetings which I was told by HR to keep my mouth shut during and the stupid busy work I got asked to do around the office such as filing I could have come in one day a week and got the same experience. The HR department seriously needs to get it's stuff together. Seriously disappointed in my experience here. I would advise interns to seek experiences elsewhere. Most of my work consisted of filing, preparing documents, or excel work lacking any real challenge or thought to it. I was essentially a secretary

Fire literally everyone in HR, reevaluate the process which departments go through to request interns, and make your hiring process faster. A 3 month wait period is incredibly unprofessional on your behalf. Out of 20 or so interns I have developed close contact with only one-two have any serious considerations to returning to this company. The irony of the selection process is that it's so competitive(mostly brand name business schools such as BC and Bentley with gpas of 3.5 or higher) is that the students have better opportunities elsewhere in consulting, advisory, wealth management or public accounting. Step up your game liberty mutual

1171 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance (View Most Recent)

Its insurance, you can't please everyone and that can be emotionally taxing

Current Employee - Claims Specialist I in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist I in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable demand for your work.

Cons

Management, office life with regards to your location is ridiculous. Had to worry about getting mugged by homeless in the parking lot.

None

Best and worst job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Claims Representative in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Slightly above average salary, comparatively. FTO n benefits are great. Turnover is so high that those who can handle the stress have solid job security. Yearly bonuses.

Cons

Ultimately, it all depends on your manager. The job is stressful and demanding, but a manager who goes to bat for you or is a genuine human being can make it all worth it. If you land a terrible manager Liberty Mutual will be the worst company you ever worked for. Previous manager was available for questions and fought to promote his employees. Current manager micro-manages so much he's never available and fights to get employees canned instead of promoted. I really did enjoy this job under good management, but a bad boss quickly shines a light on how crappy the job really is.

CALL CENTER, CALL CENTER, CALL CENTER. Inbound calls non stop, never availability. Tough to get to your own claims because you are answering calls on other adjuster's claims all day. About 12-15 times a day I am apologizing about the hold times and/or the fact that the customer cannot reach their adjuster. Been this way for years.

**Give it a shot, if you luck into a really good manager and you work hard, you really can get promoted fast. If you get a mediocre manager, you can handle the stress a little better and be content in your role but you likely won't go up, ever. Seen many great adjusters, better than myself, rot in the job and eventually leave the company. If your boss is one of the bad ones, well, you'll be looking elsewhere immediately. The job is tough and the calls are relentless, throw a bad manager on top of it and it'll be the worst job you'll ever have.

Hire more claims reps. Weed out poor management. Ditch college hire program it's a joke. Most employees have a degree, but instead you reward the inexperienced by getting these college rotation employees at $5-6k more than current employees. It is comical because guess what? They run to their seasoned peers who are making far less money for help.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance