Liberty Tax Service

www.libertytax.com
  www.libertytax.com
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Tax Service

Great place to work as long as you have a great boss

I have been working at Liberty Tax Service

Pros

Flexible schedule. Learning the tax code.

Cons

The pay is a little low to my liking but it's manageable.

229 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Tax Service (View Most Recent)

Worst place to work, ever.

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Liberty Tax Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting new people. The sign wavers are usually really cool.

Cons

Not being paid at all, not paid for training, not paid for hours spent there. The owner has refused to pay me for all the time that I've put in there, as well as training. We were supposed to get $150 for training and completing the tests that we needed in order to become a certified tax preparer, he said he would pay for the PTINs, which he didn't. I took the job on the promise of full-time hours, but I was given only about 10 all together. The few days that I did work there, people were coming in and being irate with management, while management ran around with their heads cut off. If any of the hourly employees had a question, management would shrug their shoulders and go about their business. If you ever have a choice, do not work for these people. Seeing the way that this particular branch is ran, I don't understand how they have a profitable corporation.

Learn how to run a business!

Stay far away if you're in IT

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Liberty Tax Service as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There's very little to say. Good parking. Flexible hours. If you're part of the old boys club, you're golden.

Cons

Unethical company. They spend millions on IT development, but no one knows what they are doing. They dump millions into consulting companies that do not deliver and seem to be taking the company for a ride. They hire people who otherwise run a tax store during the tax season to do jobs for which they have no experience. They also pay poorly. They'll pay out the nose for consultants who rip them off, but can't be bothered to pay employees the going rate, let alone the worst rates for the area.

Also, they have a terrible work / life balance. They refuse to declare a vacation policy, claiming that people can take time off flexibly. This sounds good becdause you assume it's an enlightened policy. It's not. They are not enlightened.

They run according to an old boys network. This means they like to see a lot of face time.You should be hanging around at night to impress the big boys. Quality of work or output doesn't matter if you don't put in the seat time and schmooze.

also, "Best Company Awards"? Laughable. They actually send email lobbying staff to be sure to vote for the company. And when people don't, they send follow up email to shame everyone.

In general, this is a two bit small time operation where an old boys network rules.

Either hire professionals and pay them what they are worth to develop an in-house IT department for your software, or don't bother. You are getting ripped off by the consulting agencies. You could hire good talent at the same rates who live in the area and who would work harder, smarter, and better than anyone from a rip off consultancy.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Tax Service