Congressional Research Service is a great place to work

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Intelligent colleagues who care about their work and a collegial atmosphere. CRS pays very well and it isn't that hard to get promoted to the GS-14 and 15 level, compared to other places. The work is interesting and important, you feel like you are making a difference to Congress when they are listening.

Cons

The senior management (at CRS) recently changed, but when I was there people were not happy with the way they were running things. No ability to work from home, very little flexibility, sometimes we felt like we were treated like schoolchildren rather than respected professionals.

Advice to Management

Members of Congress treat CRS employees with more respect than the outgoing Director did. Give CRS employees the benefit of the doubt- they all want to do a good job for Congress, and if you give them the tools and flexibility they will continue to work wonders. This includes a part-time option, occasional work-from-home, and other family-friendly initiatives. The boost to morale will make everything run better.

Other Employee Reviews for Library of Congress

1. Wonderful

Current Employee - Special Events Planner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Special Events Planner in Washington, DC

Pros

The Library of Congress is a fantastic place to work with wonderful resources and benefits for its employees.

Cons

I don't have a downside.

Advice to Management

I don't have any feedback.

2. Best place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Stimulating work environment, brilliant people, nice location, excellent benefits

Cons

Every day I went to work I felt like a kid in a candy store. Brilliant place to work. Wonderful co-workers. Great mission. Would go back in a minute but had to move out of state for my husband's job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.