There are newer employer reviews for Life Technologies

An open letter to my former employer

Former Employee - Unemployed? Keep Looking for A Job in Carlsbad, CA
Former Employee - Unemployed? Keep Looking for A Job in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies

Pros

Mission is amazing, they really do believe they will change the world though science

Cons

-two years of underpayment, half dozen different managers, countless positive performance reviews with zero promised career movement, took over 2 peoples jobs, spun my wheels, suffered whiplash from directional changes and myopic leadership, and watched almost every project be disemboweled seconds after birth.
-Holidays 2011: I'm "backfilled" and given 0 severance, 0 job assistance, no written or verbal reasoning. Oh yeah, and you never even backfilled the position.
-So thank you! I love my new job with people who are not dead inside. You were the best mistake I ever made. I hope this inspires some to move on with their lives and others not to step in a big career pothole.

Advice to Management

Keep on steering your shinking barge, you won't be missed!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

good exposure to biotech industry, but the management does not value your contribution

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies

Pros

you can learn A LOT about all aspects of the biotech business; good benefits; some flexibility in work hours; very diverse workforce that you can learn from; opportunities to move around the company if you want a change

Cons

its ALL ABOUT MONEY!!! No long-term vision from the upper management; in 2011 spent thousands $$$ on palm trees and reflecting pool on Carlsbad campus while R&D was under spending freeze and could not order even Life Tech reagents and hundreds of people were laid off. Everybody is replacable, especially if you've been with the company for some time and make decent money.

Advice to Management

Think YEARS, not months ahead!!! Stop aquiring more companies: you cannot manage well what you've already got. Knowledge comes with experience and needs to be compensated for accordingly: someone right out of school will not give you the same quality and quantity of work as people who worked in this business for years.

Churn and burn. They take all employees have to give, then when they can't keep up, they toss them aside.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies

Pros

Ideas are welcome. Initiative and risks are generally rewarded. Performance is rewarded. Good HR feedback system. Good business acumen/leadership development. The gym in Carlsbad is fantastic.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations cascaded down from upper management across all sectors. Work-Life balance is a joke. It's all work. A typical day as described by a colleague: 10 hours of meetings/t-con then 5 hours of email/work. Night and weekend work is expected, for the same amount of pay as other companies that do respect the employee's life outside of work. Workdays are a constant scramble to keep up with changing priorities and fighting fires. Most departments are understaffed compared to the the amount of work required by senior executives.

Advice to Management

The results of the Quest survey tell it all. Most people feel they are experiencing unhealthy levels of stress at work. If the CEO continues to pull a huge salary next year and the extreme cost cutting and low staff level continues, expect to see more voluntary terms. With the lack of a robust training program and written procedures, the institutional knowledge and working relationships people have with one another hold this company together. Beware of reaching a critical mass of departures when the economy turns around.