Life Technologies

www.thermofisher.com

Horrible Place For a Temp/ Contract Worker But Seems Good For a Full-time Permanent Position

Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe atmosphere at this company is actually pretty cool. They let you listen to your iPod, you can chat with your coworkers, your direct bosses and supervisors are usually extremely nice and relatable and there are a lot of potlucks and lunch events (as long as it was one that contracts were allowed to participate in).

ALOT of overtime is offered, so if you're like me and take all of it, you can typically get 50+ hours per week, which is nice. Oh! And you are usually PAID WEEKLY, which is so nice and easy to budget. They are also really flexible with their schedules. You'll have a start time, but hours aren't closely monitored and if you ask, you can have any day off you want (without pay).

One big plus is that you will gain some nice skills and keywords for building up your resume.

ConsThe cons really outweigh the pros I just mentioned. Take my advice and if you take a temp/contract position at this company, don't get comfortable there hoping to be converted to a permanent position (I saw too many recent grads with Biology/Engineering degrees "stuck" there because they got "comfortable" and gave up in this job market- sadly including myself until I snapped out of it). Just to give someone out there an idea- I worked here for a bit less than a year and I quit for a job doing the EXACT SAME THINGS I was doing at Life Tech/ Thermo Fisher- the main difference being that for the same duties, functions and SAME TITLE, I am making THREE TIMES MORE AN HOUR WITH FULL BENEFITS! Please take my advice and continue to apply to other jobs, and take any interviews you can. Degrees mean nothing there (for contract employees), and they will "promote" you and give more duties and responsibilities but they won't give you any more recognition or pay. One plus is that this job WILL give you a nice set of skills you can put on your resume. I won't lie- it actually did help me.

Pay is typically very low, and for the contract/ temp employees, your pay will be in the bottom 10th percentile of similar salaries in your same field. Overtime is offered- ALOT of overtime- They usually have morning, evening and Saturday OT, so that's the only way to get a decent paycheck.

There are NO raises and/or benefits (which you'll be notified of when you accept job), but in the interview process, they do a great job overselling the job and will all but guarantee that if you do a good job and prove yourself that you will be hired onto the company full time permanent with benefits. DON'T LISTEN!!! THEY DO NOT HIRE CONTRACT WORKERS PERMANENT AFTER THEIR CONTRACT ENDS.

Perhaps the absolute worst part of these jobs is that the company seems to go to great lengths to let their contract workers know that they are replaceable, not as important as the permanent employees, and above all- unappreciated! I have held a lot of jobs but this job- by far- made me feel terrible about myself and I had no pride going to work into work in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate all your employees, including the Contract/Temporary workers. Don't exclude them from Company events that you hold on site right in front of us and you don't need to make it so obvious and apparent that we are on the bottom of the totem pole in your eyes. Maybe if you appreciated and fairly compensated the contract employees, your employee turnover rate wouldn't be so large.

Very boring environment.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at Life Technologies full-time

Pros: Don't get me wrong, the people were kind. Cons: Maybe this was just my department (software) but I found… Advice to Senior Management: Work towards a more exciting environment. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great people to work with. Boring place to work.

Senior Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros: I had a blast with the people I worked with in… Cons: The pay was low and they pay hourly. I guess that's what you get for working in manufacturing. The… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Life Technologies.

Worked for Life Technologies? Contribute to the Community!