There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

Working at LTF has made me want to never work in the fitness industry ever again.

Current Employee - Operations in Syosset, NY
Current Employee - Operations in Syosset, NY

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

- Free membership
- Nice, big clubs.
- Most folks you encounter are nice.
- You have employment.
- If you drink enough kool-aid, you may go places in the company.

Cons

- Poor, narcissistic management from top to bottom.
- As a requirement for employment, management makes all employees memorize a phony mission and vision statement, they themselves do not follow. It's like joining an occult rather then a company.
- Say "goodbye" to friends and family, your life is work.
- Poorly written, and purposely vague employee manual.
- 7 days PTO, per year, that's it! If you get the flu and can't work for a week, your vacation time is gone!
- Prepare to work the equivalent of 2-3 employees, that's how they save on payroll.
- Employee beware, the GM does not tell you your complete job responsibility at the time of the interview...on purpose.
- If you think you are earning a set salary, think again. After you calculate all the extra hours you will be made to work, you'll be lucky to make minimum wage.
- Turnover is rampant.
- After a while it seems less like you are working at a health club, but more like a prison.
- You are forced to clean the parking lot at no pay.
- Everyone seems miserable.
- The powers use the word "artistry" to the point of nauseum. (Its actually the name of a huge golden statue they worship at the home office, no kidding!)

Advice to Management

You call yourself "The Healthy Way of Life Company" but obviously that was not intended for your employees. Capitalism is alive and well at LTF!

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall it is a positive atmosphere to work in, it's just that I feel under-appreciated due to my pay.

Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Austin, TX

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

Free gym membership, Regular customers, Well-kept, Partial insurance offered for part-time employees, Beautiful building, Positive environment.

Cons

Pitiful pay, The cafe does not typically offer raises, Company keeps firing the GM, Supervisor sends too many emails.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the little people.....the ones who make your food everyday and keep your customers smiling.

2. Great entry level position as a resume builder. Career - Say goodbye to your social life and marriage if you have one.

Current Employee - Member Advisor in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Member Advisor in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

Great place to build people skills, sales skills, small business management experience, meet an incredible amount of amazing people, learn how best to manage your time, #1 company in the world in the fitness industry that is going to build and grow for years to come, become a self motivator if you are not one - 100% commission based job, stay fit - allowed 1 hr break where you can workout in your work shift, great compensation once you put in 3-5 years min of LONG, HARD hours. You will meet so many amazing people in your time there you can't help but want to better yourself in one way or another. Very motivating environment.

Cons

the company is always trying ways to pay you less with them making more. Extremely high standards that not everyone can deliver. Very cutthroat position. To be successful in this position expect to work a min of 50 hour workweeks, weekends, and 3 straight 12 hour shifts to end every month - non negotiable. Do not expect to take any time off. If you do get it off, you will be shooting yourself in the foot because then you won't reach your nearly unreachable monthly goals. Lots of pressure on you to perform with minimal support because of the high turnaround in the position. ONLY self motivated, driven, committed workers should consider this position with desires to move up to a management position within 1-2 years or gain enough experience to find a better suited position working less hours - unless you want your career to take over your life.

Advice to Management

For the company to succeed with Bahrams Plan for 2012 the company is doing exactly what it needs to be doing. Bahram Akradi would be proud of the countless true connections I've established for the club and the people I shared experiences with. You won't find a person who did not like me at the club - member/team member. He would not want someone of my skill set, genuine nature, and hard working attitude to leave the company. However, my confidence on what I was selling and what was being delivered turned to confidence someone would drop the ball on my members and only my paycheck saw the repercussions. I put in the hours. I put in the work. I am smart and talented enough to gain an upper management position, but my desire to keep performing when other departments weren't with no accountability on their ends drove my desires to seek employment from another company. These statements are particularly based on delivering the "highest level of customer service" side of the business.