There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

Great place to workout ... terrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a free membership

Cons

They promote managers based on revenue generated ... not people management skills. The corporate employees running the business are disconnected from the clubs and don't understand the relationships that are built between the club employees and the paying members. It comes from the top down

Other Employee Reviews for Life Time Fitness

Terrible Management

Former Contractor - Martial Arts Instructor in Colleyville, TX
    Former Contractor - Martial Arts Instructor in Colleyville, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The salon and facility are nice.

Cons

Management broke their agreements on several occasions and did not live up to their word. It took almost 2 months to get my first pay check. I was told I would be paid both hourly and commission. After my first pay check was due, I was told that I was on the new system, which meant I would just be paid commission. Which translates to, I was shorted nearly $400 of what was originally agreed upon. They told me that 50% of the students were leaving, but 90% of the students left. I was expected to rebuild and entire Martial Arts program from scratch and compensated sometimes only $4 an hour. After taking my concerns to the General Manager, management still refused to put any of our agreements in writing. I even spent several hours at the gym teaching for free. In the time that I was there, I doubled the Martial Arts Program, but could not work for people I could not trust and who made no efforts to correct their mistakes.

Advice to Management

Live up to your agreements. Be honest. Put agreements in writing.

Potential to be an awesome place

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership, low formality culture at corporate office, fun people (most of the time). Great place to get a ton of experience because they run a LEAN team. Fast paced culture means you'll never get bored. Great place to learn as much as you want about your personal health and fitness with tons of great and knowledgeable people!

Cons

No work/life balance or respect for employees. When you meet a goal, all they expect is more. It never seems to be good enough. Feels like a "boys club" a lot of the time with senior management... you really feel the glass ceiling here. I feel like i'm always connected to work- at home I feel like i have to check my email at all hours in case a senior leader needs something. At times it feels like i'm working with jr-high age people. If you don't like profanity, you may get easily offended.

Advice to Management

Please value your employees. We know members are #1, but if employees aren't valued, we can't make it the best experience for our members. Employees are NOT just at your disposal. It does matter when we lose employees because of turnover costs.