Life Time Fitness
www.lifetimefitness.com Chanhassen, MN 5000+ Employees

Not what it appears to be.

Sales Department Head (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOverall a good presentation to new members. The clubs appear clean and employees care about the members. Up until they get tired of the constant meetings, conference calls and indoctrination. If you don't drink the kool aid and fall in step you will be forced out.

ConsPromise you commission and retention pay. You will never see a dime of retention pay. The levels are unobtainable for most clubs. Say good by to your identity and family. The company talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Being poor, working all the time, being forced to pay for another 90 day challenge, submit to blood tests (My Health Score) and never see your friends and family again is not a "Healthy Way of Life"

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company if full of yes men. Stop it! You can never get better when you surround people who always agree with you. Why did I have to write this on a website instead of being able to talk with someone in house? Because There is no vehicle or opportunity to discuss how we can get better. Management and especially executive management is to far removed from the actual employees and Members. They have no idea hat is really going on.

i was instructed that they we are going to do some things so the executives and regional managers will receive their bonus pay for the quarter. Instead of paying me for retention we now let the Member cancel and then offer them reduced monthly dues, free training etc if they reinstate their membership. I was told I had to take one for the team! Why not make them the same offer when they come in to cancel? Because if we did then the sales people would hit their bonuses. If we let the member leave, we real them back in 30-90 days. Great! So not only did I lose my retention bonus but I am at risk for them leaving again and hitting me a second time. Normally a member has 30 days to reinstate. After that i get paid for them to rejoin. At least that's what it says in my pay plan. Instead I get no commission from the reinstate and get penalized because they left. Genius plan!

The company wants employees and members to submit to a blood test. it's called My Health Score. The trainers are obviously not familiar or havent been trained on HIPAA laws. The members medical information is discussed with everyone and within ear shot of other members. There is no secure place to store the member's results. You can easily find the scores and test results in drawers or with a trainer on a clipboard or in the car. Did an attorney even review this process? I had a trainer come up to m and tell me I really should do training because my test abnormal. It wasn't the trainer I took the test with!

The company isn't interested in hiring or retaining the best and brightest. Look around. You'll be hard pressed to find a Manager over 35. They are far and few between. The company prefers young and impressionable 20 somethings that have never run a business, had any type of secondary education or any relatable experience. If you are currently working a part time job at a fast food restaurant, going to an online college or a budding rap mogul. Then Life Time Fitness has a Management position for you. The Managers all talk a big game but when you ask them to show you how to do thy are lost. Members dont even take them seriously. It's not just one club...it's an epidemic.

The company need to be re-organized. Get rid of all the middle managers. Reduce the processes and redundancy. The daily huddles are a waste of time and the ridiculous promotions. We don't have to sell on price. Value attracts and retains members. How many of those zero zero members are still with us from January? Yup, and we do it every year. Why does such a great company have 300% employee turnover? Its staggering all the money the company pays on training and hiring. Wall street is watching and they aren't stupid. When a couple comes in to join. They must show proof of marriage or joint financial obligations in the form of a checking account, marriage license, joint mortgage. Really? "Sure I see you have four kids together and that you have the same address but you'll need to leave here and go get documentation if you want a couple or family membership." Customer friendly! Instead they are put on two separate memberships and Wall street thinks we have two memberships but in reality it should be one. Guess what happens when the cancel? Yup! We lose two instead of one. Investors should really audit the clubs.

I loved Life Time Fitness. I was a kool aid drinking, card carrying employee. But the mandatory unpaid meetings, weak and inconstant leadership drove to write this. I feel guilty for doing so but the company has no forum or way communicating these things. Well, I guess you could talk to your manager but then you would be looking for a new job the next day.

Great place to workout ... terrible company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chanhassen, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You get a free membership Cons: They promote managers based on revenue generated ... not people management skills. The corporate employees running the business are disconnected from the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Potential to be an awesome place

Corporate Office (Current Employee)
Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros: Free membership, low formality culture at corporate office, fun people (most of the time). Great place to get a ton of experience because they run… Cons: No work/life balance or respect for employees. When you meet a goal, all they expect is more. It never seems to be good enough. Feels… Advice to Senior Management: Please value your employees. We know members are #1, but if employees aren't valued, we can't make it the best experience… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Life Time Fitness.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Life Time Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Life Time Fitness CEO Bahram Akradi. All reviews posted anonymously by Life Time Fitness employees.