Lifetime Fitness, the Healthy Way of Life Company

Current Employee - Stylist in Johns Creek, GA
Current Employee - Stylist in Johns Creek, GA

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great community of people. Very friendly employees and free club membership. Part-time employees working 10 or more hours per week are eligible for benefits. Employee discount receiving goods and services inside the club and cafe.

Cons

Pay is low and benefits' value is sub-par.

Advice to Management

Increase apprentice and commissioned stylists' pay and offer bonuses. Advertise spa services to non-members.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I was part of a family at LTF.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Chanhassen, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Chanhassen, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Life Time was a great experience. Even in down times with sales slumping the atmosphere stayed competitive and friendly. Management was always around to help and answer questions and one never felt separated from the group. Great working environment. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Cons

High stress in sales with long hours, sometimes the job just couldn't get done in terms of quotas.

Fit-in and stay fit or you will be ousted very quickly!

Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to get and stay healthy. The clubs (from a members perspective) are second to none. As Life Time expands, it's easy to find a location when traveling so you can continue your workouts.

Cons

Discrimination against the overweight. Be careful when you meet the owner because he'll act like he's hugging you but really he's checking your BMI and if you are overweight or have gained weight since the last time he felt you up, he'll tell you directly that you are fat and need to work out more. Then he'll tell your manager as he's walking away that he doesn't want you working in his club if you don't tone up. The owner truly is repulsed by overweight people. Discrimination against the "experienced" worker. Again, you might get hired by a General Manager who truly wants to hire a dedicated, loyal, hard worker, but those traits don't matter if you look over 40. Look around, most department heads and general managers are in their 20's. Life Time executives are barely in their 40's. Their image is everything and they strive to project a young, fit, hip image. So, either fit that image or be satisfied being banished to washing towels in the laundry room, out of public eye. Don't be a thinker. Life Time executives have figured out how to run the company perfectly and you are not being hired to contribute your unique thought and ideas. You are expected to execute their thoughts and ideas instead. If you ask "why" or you challenge the status quo, they will feel threatened, view you as an outsider, and begin the process of squeezing you out of the company. Generally, they do this by telling you that you are not a "good fit" for the role you are in and will offer you an undesirable transfer or demotion. If you don't like that offer (which they are banking on that you won't), then they will let you resign your position immediately. Sometimes, if they know you weren't born yesterday, they will offer you a modest severance. Life Time promotes people to leadership positions who have no idea how to lead people. They follow the "Peter Principle" in that they promote the best employees, thinking they'll make the best leaders. But often, they don't know anything about hiring, interviewing, onboarding, performance management, coaching or counseling. If you do take a position with Life Time, be sure to get copies of everything they put in your employee file and also be sure that they do your performance reviews on time. I knew employees that had been working at Life Time for more than 3 or 4 years that had NEVER had a performance review or a pay increase. I speak honestly of the above issues because I witnessed them first-hand, unfortunately. I was behind the scenes, in meetings with upper management, conspiring how to oust the people that simply didn't "fit in" even though they were actually fantastic people and fantastic employees. Believe me, I saw the celebratory high-fives and "fist bumps" occur in the offices after an employee's life had just been rocked with a demotion or termination. It was the most stressing part of working for Life Time Fitness and I am thankful every day that I am out of that shallow, backstabbing, hypocritical environment. I could go on and on but I think I've made my point.

Advice to Management

One cannot give advice to the management at Life Time Fitness. How does one give advice to shallow, conceited, narcissists who don't want to listen in the first place?