Life Time Fitness

www.lifetimefitness.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

Unfortunate, because it could really be a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free membership. Very "healthy" environment to work in- culture that is encouraging of healthy eating, exercise, etc. Related to that though- You will be in the (silently judged) minority of your're out of shape, overweight, drink soda, etc.

Mostly business casual dress code.

Certain positions also allotted cell phone and home internet connectivity allowance in addition to base salary, usually had access to great cutting edge technology, very satisfied with salary.

Cons

Only 10 days of PTO a year (whether it's sick or vacation), that you must use by the end of the calendar year. This does not allow for much work/life balance.

Benefits were just OK, which is a little odd considering it's a "Healthy Way of Life Company"

CEO has a temper- which I witnessed firsthand, not just going off of rumors. He is very driven, and perhaps that is the type of personality needed to be "successful" but cursing and losing your temper with employees or situations usually doesn't go over well in the long run.

His team of upper management is comprised of guys that have been by his side nodding yes since the first club was opened. For the most part, it's not horrible, but you eventually get the feeling that you either 'drink the kool aid' or you don't, and if you don't you're out.

647 Other Employee Reviews for Life Time Fitness (View Most Recent)

Life Really is a Healthy Way Of Life company

Current Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The free membership is great and I love to eat in the cafe!

Cons

There really aren't any. I am really enjoying learning more about the company and can't think of any cons to it.

To get to know your must valuable resource, you human capital.

Like working in a prison, rather than a health club. Very poor..

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership
    Some members are nice
    You have a job and a pay check
    If you are lucky and drink the kool aid you may move up

Cons

I find it amazing as I google this company all I read is how they are a 1 billion dollar company and how they are expanding everywhere, and also the pictures of the CEO Bahram with his narsisistic phony smile. If you have ever had the misfortune to work with this guy you'd know all he does is yell and scream and insult overweight people. You'd love to root for this rags to riches guy, but his arrogance and temper make it impossible. This goes additionally for his coat tail riding "yes men" that execute all of his orders, who's only talents seems to be enjoying hearing themselves give phoney speeches and mindless conference calls.

Oh, if only people knew what goes on behind closed doors In this company , people would never join or buy their stock.

The main reason for the success of life time fitness is in the way they exploit employees on the front lines. They prey of the weak and desparate then work them at low pay unti burn out. This cycle continues over and over. They operate 60+ mill clubs at bare minimum expenses so they can sell stock. Non-salary salespeople and trainers can also be factored in and salaried employes being stretched out over 60-70 hours per week. Also, this company nickel and dimes every expense from supplies to bonuses (which are incredibly difficult to achieve on purpose). One example is how they avoid parking lot cleaning by making it mandatory that employees pick up garbage while OFF shift. I witnessed an employee get written up for insubordination when demanding to get paid for cleaning the parking lot. It's amazing how this company takes every penny off the sweat of their employees backs and hands it to their #1 customer, the shareholder.

This CEO #1 obession is to maximize shareholder wealth at all cost, period. If you think it's to create a "Healthy way of life" for members, work for him for a few months selling memberships or cleaning lockerrooms and you'll see his true intentions.

While as a manager with this company I've seen things that I've only heard about in factories in 3rd world countries. Overworked and underpaid and no life balance just for starters (7 days PTO a year?). I could go on and on, they build big beautiful clubs then pay the minimum of wages to operate it. Then break every EEOC and labor law imaginable, and do so with cold, calculating and arrogant intent.
     I've witnessed good hard working people who were disparate for work, making minimum wage, cleaning toilets, thrown to the curb for the most trivial of reasons, including being overweight and/or not speaking clear English.

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, but for a short time, I drank the kool aid also. I could recite the mission and vision without hesitation, but eventually I woke up, like the others who have written about this company on Glassdoor.
    This is because you don't see it at first but after a while, when the smiles turn to anger, the true face of Life Time Fitness slowly emerges. If you don't fit their model you are squeezed to quit or thrown in the laundry room to fold hundreds of towels a day. The laundry room is where they hide the undesirables.

This company is the equivalent of the Christler Motor Co. pretending to be Mercedes Benz. In reality, Life Time Fitness is a glorified LA Fitness, it's too bad the unuspected members paying $200+ a month doesnt know it yet. But as the economy continues to struggle and folks start to see through the LTF facade of smoke and mirrors, they'll spend their money somewere else. It's only a matter of time..... "You can only fool some of the people some of the time"

How this company has not been slapped with a class action lawsuit as of yet, I have no idea but if they continue to abuse the people who create their paper empire, it will happen soon and their "Healthy way of life" motto will be exposed for the lie that it is.

Greed may be good..... but.....Every dog has its day.

There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness