There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

Could be great, but needs work

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

- It's a big company and most of the clubs have 150+ employees, which will expose you to making a lot of connections and friends with members and team members you wouldn't in any other industry or company.
- They really push you to grow in the company.
- Big budgets to spend on maintaining the club. They really care about making each club look "like new."
- Free membership (not that this isn't the norm working for any fitness club).

Cons

- You may be asked to take on a more challenging role without the title and pay for months even up to a year, before you are actually ever given the title and paid for it.
- While the company spends a lot of money on making sure the clubs look polished, their payroll budgets are incredibly low. There are several management positions that pay double if you'd work for another company. Front desk is paid as much as at lower end fitness clubs and they have a lot more responsibilities and there are extremely high expectations to be the face of the company. It's a lot to ask for and that's why the turnover is so high for front end and lead team members.

Find a way to pay your employees what they deserve. There are so many great team members who've left feeling used. If pay was higher for front desk they wouldn't quit every 1-3 months and we wouldn't have so many customer service issues. They can work at an ice-cream shop or video store for the same pay and a lot less responsibilities and have more fun. If you paid them $10-12 an hour they would take it more seriously even if they're young, because no one will hire them for that much anywhere else. The role would be geared towards more experienced and mature persons. Department heads shouldn't be different several times a year. By the time team members learn their role they quit, so there's a bunch of new employees who don't know what they're doing. If you want a high class club, show your members how valuable your employees are to you. They want to see the same faces year after year and hear how great employees are taken care of. Right now it looks like people are disposable. Please do some research on companies that put their employees first. I honestly love my job, but the pay is so low that I need a second job. I will probably leave the company very soon solely based on pay. It has it's problems like any other, but I feel incredibly undervalued.

510 Other Employee Reviews for Life Time Fitness (View Most Recent)

Top notch health club with plenty of amenities that attract memberships but be ready to sell

Former Employee - Personal Trainer, Assistant Department Head, Metabolic Specialist

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401K, stock options, health benefits, clean, top notch equipment, large membership base, clinical metabolic assessments, decent ongoing education, monies given to obtain new certifications, discounts on certifications, decent place to get a start and if you are there for an extended period of time you get to know the members and you can become quite busy

Cons

After working at LTF for 5 years there were a few things that started to annoy me. 1 as a skilled and educated personal trainer we were required to clean equipment on a daily basis and reprimanded if it was not cleaned due to having a full schedule with clients and other responsibilities. 2 constant requirement to sell and sell some more and up-sell products that I was not comfortable with. if you are a great sales person you should do fine as a trainer however members have seen a high turnover of trainers and other staff and each new staff member that comes in approaches members who have been there for years trying to sell them again services they dont want and actually become quite frustrated when you approach them. the culture in the club among members is "they only want our money". always a big push at the end of the month to put in long hours or work extra to up-sell products and services.

Create a professional customer serviced based environment. Have professional sales people sell the PT and NC through building relationships with your members and new members and let the trainers who want to train to do what their good at and that is training clients. Easy does it with your budgets and excessive goals because your staff and membership feels the pressure that is placed on the management to sell. Treat your trainers as professionals and DO NOT allow them to clean equipment as member feedback has always been to hire people who clean and that it degrades the educated fitness professionals appearance and credibility.

lifeguard position

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros

good benefits because you get a free pass there

Cons

sometimes bad management and long hours

There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!